In slight panic mode

New_Type_2

Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 two years ago. Been managing it with diet and metformin. I’m not over weight but had gd with both children, the second pregnancy required insulin. Last June my Hb1ac was 48 so all good. Thursday is was 142 with the blood glucose at time of testing at 25mmols. I was called to the gp surgery to repeat bloods and check the numbers yesterday. At 10am the bg monitor registered Hi which I was told meant over 33mmol and I had eaten two hours previously.

I was seen at the diabetic clinic at the hospital that afternoon, they redid bg and was 25mmols. I was started on basal insulin of 6ml with rapid release to start next week.

Before breakfast I was 19mmol, before lunch 29.9, ketones 0.1 and before dinner 30.4, ketones 0.4. Spoke with the nurse who said give 2ml nof rapid release as basal will take some time to kick in. And to take 2mlmof rapid before each meal if bg numbers are over 12mmol.

These numbers I’m lead to believe are ridiculously high. I’m in full panic mode. I’m not sure I have an ask, I just needed to write it down. They are treating it as LADA as a poor t2 diet would still only raise hb1ac to 70/80.

Not sure what to think, now worrying about complications due to continued Hyperglycemia.

Argh!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am T2 and my A1c at diagnosis was 98. I am on Metformin only and have made good progress on reducing my A1c with LCHF. Not sure how numbers 70+ would automatically signal LADA.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Well, the good news is they've caught it, and you're taking action to bring those bg readings down and reduce damage. You might want to ask for a c-peptide test to see how much insulin you are making. Your pre-meal numbers would indicate to me that you are still making some of your own.

Bad news? If it is LADA, it looks like the honeymoon period is coming to an end and you will now be managing your diabetes with insulin. You want to come down slowly, as crashing down can trigger eyesight problems, and is a bit dangerous as your body's insulin needs will be variable until you get into a routine.

How old are the kids? I don't have any so I don't know, but I would guess you are going to have to explain injecting and why you blood test, and possibly what a hypo is.

I would say welcome to the club, but you probably didn't really want to join.

<<Hugs>>

Reactions: Juicyj

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are ridiculously high - but they pretty much the same as mine on diagnosis last year. I started to wonder if the meter was faulty because it only ever said Hi.

They need to bring you down slowly for the sake of your blood vessels. My eyesight was all over the place for 3 months.

Do you know if they have run any antibody tests?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 two years ago. Been managing it with diet and metformin. I’m not over weight but had gd with both children, the second pregnancy required insulin. Last June my Hb1ac was 48 so all good. Thursday is was 142 with the blood glucose at time of testing at 25mmols. I was called to the gp surgery to repeat bloods and check the numbers yesterday. At 10am the bg monitor registered Hi which I was told meant over 33mmol and I had eaten two hours previously.

I was seen at the diabetic clinic at the hospital that afternoon, they redid bg and was 25mmols. I was started on basal insulin of 6ml with rapid release to start next week.

Before breakfast I was 19mmol, before lunch 29.9, ketones 0.1 and before dinner 30.4, ketones 0.4. Spoke with the nurse who said give 2ml nof rapid release as basal will take some time to kick in. And to take 2mlmof rapid before each meal if bg numbers are over 12mmol.

These numbers I’m lead to believe are ridiculously high. I’m in full panic mode. I’m not sure I have an ask, I just needed to write it down. They are treating it as LADA as a poor t2 diet would still only raise hb1ac to 70/80.

Not sure what to think, now worrying about complications due to continued Hyperglycemia.

Argh!
My hba1c before insulin was 117 but higher before that whilst waiting to see endo and in 'burn out' zone. I was afraid to eat for weeks.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If i stopped my low carb eating and insulin id be in my 30s on my meter. :(

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 two years ago. Been managing it with diet and metformin.

So what kind of diet do you manage your diabetes with? And have you been sticking to that diet over the last three months?

They are treating it as LADA as a poor t2 diet would still only raise hb1ac to 70/80.

Nonsense. Hba1c is an indication of your diabetic control. It says nothing whatsoever about what type of diabetes you have. It's perfectly possible for someone with type 2 diabetes to have a hba1c at 140.

The tests to look into type of diabetes would be a cpeptide test to see what your insulin production is looking like. If it's high that would indicate type 2, if it's low then it could be type 2 with beta cells worn out by over production of insulin or it could be type 1 with beta cells killed off by the immune system. And antibody testing to see if you have antibodies associated with autoimmune type 1 diabetes. The most common is GAD, but there are about half a dozen other identified antibodies and the NICE guidelines say that if a GAD test is being run it shoul be run with tests for at least one of the other antibodies to reduce false negatives. However antibody testing is only definitive if it is positive, About 25% of type 1 diabetics are antibody negative, either because the antibodies that killed off their beta cells haven't yet been identified or because by the time they are tested all the beta cells are killed off so there's nothing for the antibodies to do and they disappear.

Reactions: Leeannea

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was 106 at dx with ketones and starting to become acidotic. im not the only type 2 like this. always remember that diabetes is different in everyone. yes lots of type 2s are spotted in the 50-60 range but they usually are secondary diagnosis following screening.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Sounds like you probably are LADA. As said, ask for a c-peptide test and a GAD test, but unfortunately because of the cost many GPs are reluctant to do these tests.

If you are LADA, then
you most likely are still in the honeymoon period, in which case you will stay in the honeymoon period much longer if you can keep your BG levels in the normal range. You may well have a good chance of getting your BG levels back to the normal range if you go on a very strict low carb diet. This would mean no potatoes, no pasta, no bread, No rice, no fruit except maybe a few berries, but almost as much meat, fish, dairy and above ground veg as you like. If you start to loose too much weight eat more fat (coconut oil, butter etc.).

I have been on this diet for more than 4 years now, I like it. It keeps my BG levels down and insulin levels at a minimum.

Many of us on this forum are on this diet, it really does keep BG levels down.

Reactions: Nooch1

New_Type_2

When I got the 48 hba1c last year is was on a reasonably low carb diet, down from 63. It’s at the point now I feel sick at the sight of meat and can’t manage too many leafy greens due to over doing it slightly.

Not being an expert here so bear with. If you take basal insulin, aren’t you supposed to be able to eat reasonably normal? If you bolus you should start to see numbers coming down? If I wake up with bg of 22 that’s not great. I give myself my rapid insulin so I can eat something. A couple of hours later, we are up to 28 and it’s only been a bit of toast.

If I’m type 2 surely the insulin basal and the bolus on top should be bringing the number down regardless not making it go up (I’ve not googled that particular version of events though). I’m not eating cake for breakfast here, it’s just a couple of slices of wholemeal with butter. Yes I know the carb content but I’ve insulind to be able to have this have I not?

Are we saying here that insulin wont help me and only a low carb diet will? I forgot to mention the weightloss, thirst and weeing part and the night sweats and finger numbness that occurred in the run up to the diabetic review if it helps (two months max). The diabetic matron said she can only go on with the presented symptoms which indicate to her that this is LADA but everyone is different she says. They are re-doing all the bloods, sending them off to “Southampton” etc which indicates to me that they are testing for all sorts of things. By the way I’m under hospital care not gp care if that makes a difference at all in terms of care plans.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I got the 48 hba1c last year is was on a reasonably low carb diet, down from 63. It’s at the point now I feel sick at the sight of meat and can’t manage too many leafy greens due to over doing it slightly.

Not being an expert here so bear with. If you take basal insulin, aren’t you supposed to be able to eat reasonably normal? If you bolus you should start to see numbers coming down? If I wake up with bg of 22 that’s not great. I give myself my rapid insulin so I can eat something. A couple of hours later, we are up to 28 and it’s only been a bit of toast.

If I’m type 2 surely the insulin basal and the bolus on top should be bringing the number down regardless not making it go up (I’ve not googled that particular version of events though). I’m not eating cake for breakfast here, it’s just a couple of slices of wholemeal with butter. Yes I know the carb content but I’ve insulind to be able to have this have I not?

Are we saying here that insulin wont help me and only a low carb diet will? I forgot to mention the weightloss, thirst and weeing part and the night sweats and finger numbness that occurred in the run up to the diabetic review if it helps (two months max). The diabetic matron said she can only go on with the presented symptoms which indicate to her that this is LADA but everyone is different she says. They are re-doing all the bloods, sending them off to “Southampton” etc which indicates to me that they are testing for all sorts of things. By the way I’m under hospital care not gp care if that makes a difference at all in terms of care plans.

As I understand it, your basal is your long acting insulin which is almost like a car in tick-over, not doing anything (in this case, not eating). Bolus is the insulin that tackles the mealtimes, so you may find things get clearer when you start on your bolus too.

Sounds like they're doing the tests to identify which "brand" of diabetes you have, so it looks like your team are really lifting the lid on this.

Fingers crossed for you.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I don't take any Basal insulin, only Novo Rapid Bolus before meals. In effect, because i am still in the honeymoon period and my pancreas is still producing some insulin I don't need to Basal...... yet. I am no expert on taking insulin as I am new to it too, and only take small quantities. But certainly, the more carbs you eat, the more insulin you will need to take, and that's one reason why so many of us low carb. Over time you will find out what food increases your BG levels and inject an appropriate amount accordingly. If you start to inject frequently you will need to check your BG levels very frequently.