In your face Diabetes!

MrSteveVee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Everything I have to Eat!
Six monthly checkups results: Sugar 6.4 Cholesterol 3.3, BP 119/70 Wohoo. Take that <punches the air>

Sorry, been meaning to introduce myself for a while, and now have me six monthly results back so feeling pleased with them and wanted to brag to a group that understood what I meant :)

Sooo., Hi all, nice to speak to you all. For those interested, I’m Male, 56 years old and diagnosed T2 for about 6 years. I managed to stay on diet control for five of them with massive help from my wife kids and family but as this rancid disease progressed I was forced to go on Metformin about a year back (2 X 500mg per day) and upped the Simvatins from 20 to 40mg (as the UK changed the recommended values). Latest results show it is working and I am under the threshold for sugar <wohoo, clicks heels again> and almost there for the Cholesterol (0.3 to go)

Interesting on all the different methods of monitoring what you eat, I went to a 2 hour Diabetes clinic when I was first diagnosed but came away more confused than when I entered. So whilst looking on the web to see what I should do, we (me and wife) devised our own methods based on what we thought the clinic had stated.

Obviously all sugary things were now taboo. No more cakes (I could murder for a jam doughnut!!) sweets, or sugar with anything. Breakfast is now porridge, or plain shredded wheat, plain wheatabix or toast (apart from an occasional weekend fry up treat!) Lunch, just sarnies but with white bread, no pickles or sauces. Dinner will be a normal meat potatoes and couple of veg and a mid morning and mid afternoon a piece of fruit keeps things in balance.

We have followed a very simple measurement. If anything states more than 5g of sugar per 100g, it is taboo. Looking on this site it appears that this is not the best of measures, but it has worked for me so far, but to be fair, my diet does not change very much and this measure is used mainly for something new that looks tasty or some communal food bought into the office for all to share and normally the answer is no :-(

Still like most of you out there, I manage to get by, by politely refusing the offer (whilst quickly wiping away the saliva drools) and the office collegues are all aware and help with a stern NO if I start to waver and that is such a help.

I notice that some people do not like to let others know that they have this disease. I am the opposite, all my fiends and workmates are aware and I think that this helps a lot. I do not have to make an excuse when someone brings in a mouth watering home made cake as they are aware and do not actively ask me if I want some. In fact on some occasions (birthdays) when the obligatory cakes have been bought, the birthday girl or boy has on occasion specifically bought a non sugary item specially for me. That is so touching

Nice to speak to you all, and have a geat day

Steve V

Metformin 2 X 500mg
Simstatin 40mg

Plus a shed load of other pills for heart, Bladder, Kidneys

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum :) Glad you've finally introduced yourself - pleased to meet you :wink: Your levels are getting good now but if you cut out more carbohydrates and not just sugar you could get them even better. This could help you to avoid complications in the future. I know you have been diagnosed for six years now and have found a diet that works for you but you may be interested in this basic information written by the forum monitors which includes our recommendations on diet which is what we believe in. I apologise if you have already seen it. Read it and see what you think. Maybe you would like to use some of the information in it. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

Now that you have started posting, don't be afraid to ask all the questions you want - we all will be pleased to help you. :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Steve, and welcome!

I too am 'in your face' about having diabetes. It's nothing to be ashamed of, just a problem metabolising carbohydrate. Most people who know me are curious and want to know more - and there are some very strange ideas out there, so if we can clear things up a bit, so much the better!

I find it quite astonishing how little people know about diet and nutrition - not even what proteins and carbohydrates are and which foods contain which.

I'm on Daisy's side about carbohydrate but I shan't nag you - you seem to have coped very well for much longer than me! :lol:

Viv :)

primmers

Hi Steve, welcome to the board and well done on those results.

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to hi-jack your thread briefly.

Viv, I think I recently read a post of yours where you gave normal reference ranges for cholesterol, blood lipids etc but I can't think where I saw it. If it was you, can you post me a link? If it wasn't you apols to whoever it was.

Once again Steve, welcome to the best resource I've found since diagnosis

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Primmers

The NICE guidelines (National Institute for Clinical Excellence, for those who don't know) are as follows:

Blood glucose levels for non-diabetics:

3.5 - 5.5 mmol/l before meals
less than 8 mmol/l 2 hours after a meal

For Type 2s:

4 - 7 mmol/l before meals
less than 8.5 mmol/l 2 hours after a meal

I'm sorry, I don''t know what the guidelines for Type 1 are, as I'm Type 2 and I have the others stuck to my computer monitor, but I think they're overall a very little higher than for Type 2. I know one of my Type 1 friends is told never to drive if he's below 8. Maybe someone out there can help with those?

Have a nice day, everyone :D It's thick fog outside my windows and I've resorted to my SAD lamp again! :lol: :lol:

Viv

primmers

Hi Viv, it was the cholesterol, HDL/Ldl, triglycerides etc I was after. Was that you or have I muddled it up?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Sorry, Primmers - misread your post - not enough coffee inside me, obviously!

Here are the blood lipid/cholesterol ranges; these are for non-diabetics:

Total cholesterol: - target below 5.18 (or less than 200, in US)
medium - 5.18 - 6.20 (200 - 239
HDL: - target above 1.04, and the higher the better (above 40 and preferably above 60)
low is below 1.04 (less than 40)
Triglycerides: - target below 1.70, and the lower the better (less than 150)
medium - 1.70 - 2.25 (150 - 199)
high - 2.26 - 5.64 (200 - 499)
very high - above 5.65 (above 500)
LDL: - is calculated from the above readings; don't know the range exactly, but mine is 3.2 which is okay.
Total cholesterol:HDL ratio: don't know exactly, but mine is presently 4.5 which I think is on the high side of the 'acceptable' range.

I'll have another trawl round Google and see if I can pin down those inexact ones.

I know they like to get diabetics in the 3s for total cholesterol, but no-one has ever shown me the evidence as to why. What I do know is that your brain can't function without it! My 'total' is 5 at the moment, which I'm perfectly happy with. If it goes lower of its own accord, fine. My ratio is okay, as are my separate readings, so I'm not worrying.

Viv :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Primmers

Those final two figures:

LDL - 3.3mmol/l or lower

Total:HDL - less than 5mmol/l

Viv :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Primmers

That's a fantastic improvement in your lipid profile! Well done!

Viv :D

primmers

Hi viv, I was really, really pleased as when I got the triglyceride result last September I thought I would be dead of a heart attack within the week :lol: The interweb is a wonderful thing but it has big downsides too and you can't half find some frightening stuff if you goggle "high triglycerides".

At the time every medic I talked to told me to cut down on alcohol and sweet fatty food. I thought this was really unfair as I have about 1 unit to drink a month and have been watching my diet forever in order to lose weight. Anyhow, what little sweet and fatty stuff there was in my diet came out and I started taking the Benecol drinks and I think that contributed to December's lowering. I was started on Simvastatin in January as the Triglycerides had fallen enough to rule out Fibrates and that seems to be working very well.

I've concluded that the 'weak and wobbly' feeling I got in my legs was actually not a sign that I was hungry but a sign my BMs were on the high side. I wouldn't have known that without testing and since I found it out I no longer react to a 'symptom' of high BMs by eating more :lol: