Increased insulin need after illness

Robaloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year and a half ago, am 22 female living in Kenya. I recently got a bad tummy bug which turned into a gut infection about 3 weeks ago. I am completely better now and have not been on any other medications for at least 3 weeks. I have noticed I need to almost double my insulin dose at meals since I got sick. Same food, environment etc. however I went to a friends for a week and suddenly was having hypos so went back to my original dose, then came home and boom! Back on double doses. I am eating low carb, my doses are usually between 2-3 units of Humalog, before illness between 1-2. Has anyone delt with sudden blood sugar changes after illness? How long do they last? Do they ever go back to normal? Thanks

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
During illness is usually when we find our insulin needs will change, not to say it won’t happen after illness but it’s more than likely you’ll find it happens during illness. It could be that your body is still fighting something in the background or given that you’ve only been diagnosed for a short period of time you could be coming out of the honeymoon period, you’re on very low doses of insulin which does make me think your body was probably producing some of its own insulin and that is beginning to decline. I would definitely speak to your diabetes team if you can do about this as they will be able to advise better.

Robaloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, first illness with diabetes so still learning about how my body responds! x