Indian food, low carb

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I melted a dollop of coconut oil in a pan and gently softened a diced red onion. Then I added the usual Indian spices - cumin, coriander, chilli, cardamom pods, saffron, bay leaves etc and fried them for a minute or two. The celeriac rice went in next, and I stirred it around until it was coated in the spicy oil, and after a few minutes I added 300ml of veg stick and simmered for ten minutes or so. I had to take some of the stock out as it was a bit wet, so I’d just add 200ml next time. Still, it made a nice mug of broth ;)
That is what I love about curries there is no set rule as such. Sounds yummy

Reactions: LooperCat

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'd like to experiment a bit with Indian food. (I've been watching a bit to much of the loveley foods Masood is selling in Eastenders.) Most of the dishes like korma of tikka massala, can be eaten. But it's the rice, poppadums, naan etc. that accompanies the dishes. The rice is easy, I can use the cauliflower rice. Just not sure wether to add anything. What do you use?
I made some keto naan which was magic

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nothing... I usually just have a meat dish and a veg dish.. something like chicken tikka with a spinach or aubergine dish.
Would you share me your spinach dish, please? I'd like to give it a try.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you share me your spinach dish, please? I'd like to give it a try.
Sure the simplest one is
melt some butter in a pan.
Add some curry powder to taste. I use 2 teaspoons.
Cook powder in butter for a couple of minutes
Add spinach and cook until preferred texture then add some creme fraiche or full fat yoghurt.
If you want to add some onion garlic and chilli at the start then add those before the curry powder.
My local takeaway does a minced lamb and spinach dish that they call "keema saag" which i may add into this mix. You could also add paneer cheese if you want.
As you can tell I kind of make it up as I go along but along with a chicken tikka main course (also from the takeaway) it becomes a low carb tasty dinner.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovinglife

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sure the simplest one is
melt some butter on a pan.
Add some curry powder to taste. I use a 2 teaspoons.
Cook powder in butter for a couple of minutes
Add spinach and cook until preferred texture then add some creme fraiche or full fat yoghurt.
If you want to add some onion garlic and chilli at the start then ad those before the curry powder.
My local takeaway does a minced lamb and spinach dish that they call "keema saag" which i may add into this mix. You could also add paneer cheese if you want.
As you can tell I kind of make it up as I go along but along with a chicken tikka main course (also from the takeaway) it becomes a low carb tasty dinner.

Thanks for the recipe, I'll make it next week. It sounds delicious!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the recipe, I'll make it next week. It sounds delicious!
Hope you like it.. I have used both fresh and frozen spinach (fresh works better) and I go for a hot curry powder. But whatever suits your taste.. enjoy..

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you like it.. I have used both fresh and frozen spinach (fresh works better) and I go for a hot curry powder. But whatever suits your taste.. enjoy..

I couldn't wait so I made the spinach last Wednesday and served it with chicken tikka. It tasted very good and the smell was amazing. Thanks!