Induction Date Given

Elliehowell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I argued my entire pregnancy (hundreds of appointments) to not go on a sliding scale- simply because I love my pump and was convinced that my basal rates etc were far superior to a different insulin plan calculated on general population and not me. By end of first pregnancy, obstetrician and consultant were, OK then and I wrote it clearly on birth plan. I also wanted pump during labour - they kept saying no as not done before. After I had been induced, the said obstetrician came to my bed and said no way was I allowed pump. How cheeky! She explained that whilst I knew how to work it, her staff didn't and as with all preg there is the risk that you might need to go under general anaesthetic / be in position to not take it. (Or for you, staff not know your dose in context- get your body in position for injection etc)

Anyway, ironically, I really, really loved being on the sliding scale. My sugars were perfect and it was lovely to concentrate on labour and have a little holiday with someone else looking after that side of things. They come and test for you, hourly I think and you can relax.

My induction didn't work and I too ended up with emergency section. Insulin was the last thing on my mind and if I were to have a third, I think I'd ask to be on the sliding scale a bit longer after birth.

My hubby was allowed to stay but tbh he was exhausted and therefore useless! Ha! Like others have said have hypo treatments ready and try to sleep in early stages as you don't know how long it will go on for. (Sliding scale obviously stops any hypos too as you are not only attached to insulin but also glucose when they see a decline they give glucose IV - I didn't rea

Yes a sliding scale is always insulin and glucose. I have ss when I have been in hospital for operations and they work very well and you dont have to worry how your sugar is going as ss takes care of it all .

Last edited by a moderator:

jade88

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate everyone's advice and support! Will keep you all posted! xxx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck for tomorrow Jade hope you are doing OK and everything goes well for you Hun xxx