Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A short (half hour) presentation on seed oils by Nina.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aldehydes, Interesting about the polymers in the cooking oils... (The bit about the kitchen cleaning.)

Years ago when I was a student, I worked for a contract cleaning company during the summer breaks. We got a job doing what I can only term as an "industrial clean" on a pub restaurant kitchen? (Yeah, rumour had it they would be closed down if they didn't.)
There was a large extractor over a fryer that was a "tough gig" in cleaning terms...

There are parts on my van that were easier to degrease..

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Aldehydes, Interesting about the polymers in the cooking oils... (The bit about the kitchen cleaning.)

Years ago when I was a student, I worked for a contract cleaning company during the summer breaks. We got a job doing what I can only term as an "industrial clean" on a pub restaurant kitchen? (Yeah, rumour had it they would be closed down if they didn't.)
There was a large extractor over a fryer that was a "tough gig" in cleaning terms...

There are parts on my van that were easier to degrease..

Only since switching back to lard have I noticed that over over the weeks the film of grease on my kitchen cabinets has disappeared as has that awful smell from the seed oils that invariably set the fire alarm off.

And yes, my family have noticed that cooking chips in lard tastes better. All good stuff.

Reactions: geefull

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was half way through watching this and the video suddenly became "unavailable". Is it the same for others?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You could try going to youtube directly, when I viewed it there was a glitch too so I came off youtube and searched for it again and it was fine. It had only been downloaded for an hour when I found it so maybe someone has fixed the glitch by now. Sorry you couldn't see it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have been using lard but not exclusively But I think it's lard beef dripping from now on. No more cooking with seed oils.
@Guzzler thanks for posting this and bye the way it's working fine for me no problems viewing it at the moment.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The simple point that it took industrial grade cleaners and a specially designed chemical solvent to clean the vents really made an impact on me and of course the point that this stuff is (the seed oils) is now in us.

Apart from the fact that these oils are high in omega 6s which was a salient point too makes it hard to recommend anything that is good about this sludge. I was wondering what further processes they have invented to make those blocks of solid 'vegetable' fat...

Biggles2

The other striking point made by Nina Teicholz in the clip is the extent of the marketing tactics used to sell these new products.....
As a result of those scare tactics, lard was demonized and banished from everyone's pantry. I remember (with much nostalgia this Christmas morning) a fairly staple pudding from my childhood that disappeared from my Mum's repertoire sometime in the late 70's. 'Old English Apple Hat' or 'apple suet pudding'. Of course I could never have it now because of the carb content;), but I suspect it disappeared back then because the makers of the industrial sludge waged a successful marketing campaign demonizing suet and lard as unhealthy fats.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The other striking point made by Nina Teicholz in the clip is the extent of the marketing tactics used to sell these new products.....
As a result odon't havee scare tI'mtics, lard was demonized and banished from everyone's pantry. I remember (with much nostalgia this Christmas morning) a fairly staple pudding from my childhood that disappeared from my Mum's repertoire sometime in the late 70's. 'Old English Apple Hat' or 'apple suet pudding'. Of course I could never have it now because of the carb content;), but I suspect it disappeared back then because the makers of the industrial sludge waged a successful marketing campaign demonizing suet and lard as unhealthy fats.

I have never had 'bread and drip' because my mother didn't like it but I have heard a lot of people of my generation and older who said that thay really missed it. I have often wondered what it would taste like.
I once tried a recipe that I did for my family where I made roast lamb in a way that allowed the fat to drip onto a large yorkshire pudding. It went down a storm but I did not have the yorky as I don't like them so I'm none the wiser.

Reactions: Biggles2
D

Deleted member 308541

At my last job in the meat industry in Mt Isa.

The company used to render down beef and mutton fat. Then sold twenty litre drums of beef dripping to fish and chip shops and cafes / bistros that sold decent chips.

Pork fat always was taken home by the workers for making lard for pastry etc.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Beef dripping and bread my dad used to serve it up as a treat I remember it with fondness.

My local butcher sells beef dripping so will be buying some this week I think.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I still use peanut and sesame and roasted sesame. Now, lemme know how I am killing myself, please?

@Contralto I'm sorry but did you read my post before quoting it, Where in it did I say anything about you. I merely stated what I will be doing from now on, I make no demands on others actions as far as I am concerned you can cook your food with engine oil if you wish.

And as Guzzler asks did you actually view the presentation.

Reactions: Guzzler

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread seems to be rather one-sided so I would make the following observations:

All oils and fats are a mixture of saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats in different proportions. So when using lard you might be getting 39% saturated fat but you are also getting a total of 56% poly and mono unsaturated fat. Even butter, regarded by many as the holy grail, has 24% unsaturated to 51% saturated fat and even contains some trans fats.

p02y9sjk.jpg

The colours in the above chart are supposed to show the stability with heating but I don't know if heating once is a problem or only multiple heating such as in a deep fryer or a fast food restaurant. I use Rapeseed oil for shallow frying but I never use it twice. Incidentally I fry with oil because it wipes cleanly out of the pan with a kitchen towel rather than the "sludge" I would get frying in butter or lard.

Reactions: Brunneria

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, dripping.. As it's that time of year, one of the best things about cooking a goose for xmas was the large amount of fat that would come off a decent goose. Which was then delicious on toast, or for roasting spuds in. And if fatphobics didn't want it, all the more for me! All good things in moderation etc..

As for the rest, I think it's understanding your oils for cooking. Some are less suitable for high temperatures than others. And if they're smoking, well, they're giving off much the same chemicals as the demon weed, tobacco. The anti-smoking lobby don't like pointing out that fact. Rapeseed/canola's another interesting one because people with hayfever often find being anywhere near a field of rape triggers their allergies, and some of those compounds stay in the oil.

And then there's fake lard :)

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
This thread seems to be rather one-sided so I would make the following observations:

All oils and fats are a mixture of saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats in different proportions. So when using lard you might be getting 39% saturated fat but you are also getting a total of 56% poly and mono unsaturated fat. Even butter, regarded by many as the holy grail, has 24% unsaturated to 51% saturated fat and even contains some trans fats.

p02y9sjk.jpg

The colours in the above chart are supposed to show the stability with heating but I don't know if heating once is a problem or only multiple heating such as in a deep fryer or a fast food restaurant. I use Rapeseed oil for shallow frying but I never use it twice. Incidentally I fry with oil because it wipes cleanly out of the pan with a kitchen towel rather than the "sludge" I would get frying in butter or lard.
Hi @Mr_Pot
I agree, it is wrong to criticise whole categories of fats, when there are so many and they cover such a huge range.
I prefer this table
upload_2017-12-26_14-14-31.png

which shows the Omega 3/6/9 contents of fatty acids. I think the general advice is to balance the Omega 3 and 6 fats.
I personally use butter on top of vegetables and for frying fish. I sometimes use rapeseed oil (Canola in US) for frying at high temperatures. Always EV olive oil for dressings. Goose fat for roasting. Does anyone know if goose fat is similar in nutrition to dripping? I was brought up on bread and dripping, but I remember it was the meat juices at the bottom of the dripping that were the most sought after parts, rather than the rather bland white fat.