Inflaming dangers of a high fat meal.

C

catherinecherub

The majority of Type 2 diabetics have a weight problem when diagnosed. Most of us here have managed to lose weight by varying degrees.

This article suggests that in overweight people, immune cells embedded in fat are sensitive to high levels of fats in the blood, triggering inflammation that can lead to Heart Disease and Diabetes,

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... h_fat_meal

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Blimey! Interesting read that, it reaffirms what we all suspected.

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
timo2 said:
What was it that we all suspected, Nigel?

I suspect that should you read the article Timo, you will find the answer to your question. I don't think you need it explained in a more simplistic manner do you?

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
HOw then do they explzin all those of us who eat quite a lot of fats and have VERY LOW triglycerides?
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I eat fat. Moderation in all things! Simples! :roll:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Timo,

And by the way, just to make it quite clear here, I do not wish to lower myself and raise to the bait on trivial matters that you or any others wish to pursue.

Thank you.

Nigel

C

catherinecherub

I think Synonom has the answer, moderation.
As the OP I was wondering if high fat intake had caused the problem in the first place then why would we want to eat copious amounts of fats?

Catherine.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
You shouldn't ever feel pressured to climb down, Nigel. Nor should you have to apologise for using the royal 'we'.

I hope we both make it to Monday. Have a good one.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
timo2 said:
You shouldn't ever feel pressured to climb down, Nigel. Nor should you have to apologise for using the royal 'we'.

I hope we both make it to Monday. Have a good one.

Not much chance of that I'm afraid, much to your dismay!

You have yourself a pleasant and relaxing weekend too! :wink:

Nigel

Cas

This may sound facetious, but isn't it obvious that obese people have more macrophages than lean people since they have more fatty tissue for macrophages to 'live' in than lean people.
So I don't understand the revelation in that statement.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
I'm on a high fat diet and like many lowcarbers have found my lipid profile has improved, contrary to what we are told to expect by the the so called experts. It is apparent to me that by reducing the carbs the impact of saturated fat is negated.

Graham

ally5555

When you actually analyse low carb diets they are often not that high in fat as low carbers believe- as an average woman requires around 70-75g and a man around 90g - the low carbers have been having less than this! My very crude analysis on here last year showed that! Except for Graham who was eating more fat than all of them!

TG levels will come down very quickly when you remove all refined carbs and reduce alcohol so that most type 2s if they are told to remove sugar see the same results. I see this happen in practice all the time and has been the ususal advice for raised TG for as long as I can remember."

If you adopt a porfolio approach - inc fibre, fruit and veg, remove the junk!, exercise, handful of almonds and for some a plant sterol you get the same effect as a statin - a 30% reduction in total chol. There has been some data published on this - dont recall where but sure you can find it on google.

Some interesting research published recently shows that carb reduction may not be as beneficial - recently on here a number of posters have inicated an increase in LDL chol .

I have n't read the full paper yet - this is a summary.

5 Feb 2010

Research at the University of Colorado at Denver indicates that reducing carbohydrate intake may not be as good for those wishing to cut their cholesterol levels as for those who simply want to lose weight. In study subjects eating a diet low in carbohydrates, but relatively high in fat, levels of LDL cholesterol increased significantly, while they fell in a high-carb group. The findings appear in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Reuters

Ally

^

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
But what about LDL particle size?

And what happened to levels of HDL cholesterol and triglycerides during the study?

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I read the article but could not find the reference that the original poster seems to be referring to about where a high fat diet caused the 30 people to become overweight in the first place.

raydavies

Without getting too bogged down in this.

I would, however like to make the point that in the population in general, high fat goes along with high carb. Few people eat a knob of butter without the slice of bread! In other words no reference is made to the level of carbs consumed.

I seem to average around 150gms of fat per day. I have more energy, I'm losing weight and, for the first time, my blood glucose is under control.

Ray

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
This was a 6 week study.
There are several longer studies, including the Neilson 44 months ones, which found that Serum lipids improve more on a low carb diet than on a lowfat/lowcal diet. These longer studies also show that when the low carb is kept up , the reduced weight and blood glucose remain down. One problem of some studies is that the low carb diet isn't all that low and that it's allowed to relax, before the study is completed.
I know that in my own case, my Bg, which never was high. (Highest HbA1c in 6 years is 6.1%)now 5.1%, is almost non-diabetic on minimal medicaion. My total cholesterol has never been higher than 3.6 and now is 3.0 with trigs of 0.6
I don't count my carbs or my fats
but I often have a piece of soft cheese for breakfast.
I put cream in my coffee and butter on my veggies.
I avoid eating bread, other baked goods, pasta, rice and potatoes. And of course I don't use sugar.
Despite the fact that my weigth loss is now at snails pace, Ihaven't regained any of the nearly 3 stones I've lost.
All this is without hunger. I've been carb controlling for about 4 years. I started on low GI and then took the next step.
Hana

C

catherinecherub

clearviews said:
I read the article but could not find the reference that the original poster seems to be referring to about where a high fat diet caused the 30 people to become overweight in the first place.

I think you need to re read my OP and the article before deciding what I am implying.