Inflammation At Diagnosis Linked To Type 1 Diabetes Progression

DCUK NewsBot

Inflammation levels at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes could be linked with how the condition progresses, research suggests. The US study team behind the findings had been investigating whether different subtypes of type 1 diabetes exist, and how inflammation levels could be related to their development. Type 1 diabetes progresses at different rates, with children tending to experience a more aggressive form than those diagnosed in adulthood. This means that people can respond differently to immune treatments designed to preserve insulin production. Blood samples from 42 children were analysed, all of whom were recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. They then observed their inflammation patterns, which in this study referred to immune system activity targeting insulin-producing beta cells. The researchers found that higher inflammation levels at diagnosis led to faster loss of natural insulin production. Furthermore, four subgroups of people with different forms of type 1 diabetes were identified, based on their different inflammation patterns at diagnosis. The researchers state the findings could help to predict which people would benefit from treatments designed to cease the immune attack that characterises type 1, and preserve insulin production. The findings also support the existence of multiple subtypes of type 1 diabetes, showing how people can experience different forms of the condition. "The ability to identify individuals with rapidly progressing [type 1 diabetes] would allow for more informative and targeted trials of participants most likely to benefit from therapeutic intervention," said the researchers. They have called for further studies to determine whether these identified subgroups of type 1 diabetes are observed in other groups of people. The study was partly funded by the JDRF, with the results published online in Diabetologia.

Continue reading...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm not convinced. How about the shock and stress from diagnosis? Would that not cause inflammation?
Newly type1 patients have to make sooo many changes and that would have to be eliminated first to convince me inflammation is just from condition.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The study seems well designed EXCEPT how did the researchers differentiate between 'inflammation' caused by the progression of the diabetes in these children, and that cause by viral and other infections which might have been present the period of study?

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
My inflammation marker was always high and the GP couldn't figure out what caused it. I also got NLD (Necrobiosis Lipoidica) which is an inflammable condition. My consultant in the hospital also said she believes i got a rare subtype of T1 and by some patients they never find out which one it is.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Children are more prone to becoming poorly or sick very quickly anyway. Through shock and upset, i firstly had suspected colitis, then type 1 and I have acquired more auto immune conditions too.
These Newsbot studies that we read, do need to be taken with a pinch of salt at times.