1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Information for friends?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Namitee, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Namitee

Namitee Type 1 · Newbie

Hi,

I've been diabetic for around 4 years now and the majority of my friends and family know I have it, but I am not too sure they fully understand it... and most importantly how to know when I am having a hypo and how to treat it.

I have had a few hypos over the years around friends, nothing ultra serious but I would loose focus, find it hard to think straight, get tired and clumsy, not talk properly and through no fault of their own they failed to pick up on it. Luckily I was able to manage it myself and get some sugar in my system before it got more serious.

I am just curious if anybody has any good information that I could send to them that can teach them what signs to pick up from seeing a hypo, and how to treat it. I do worry that they wont understand when I am having a hypo, as I have had conversations with them in the past whilst having a hypo and just talking nonsense, repeating myself and they didn't really notice anything wrong.

If anyone has any good links or simple information I could send them, just for a quick read so they know exactly what to look for and what diabetes entails then I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. Shannon27

Shannon27 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Namitee !

This may help? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-the-family.html

I thing the first thing for you to do would be to recognise your own hypo/hyper signs. List these down so you know what to tell people to look for :) for example, my hypo signs are hot flushes, dizziness and clumsiness/trembling. My high signs are unquenchable thirst, but frequently needing the toilet! Tell them what happens to your body when it doesn't get enough sugar, and when it gets too much. This might take a bit or research.

Let them all know what to do if you ever need help - do you have a medical bracelet or anything? For example, if you are found on the floor unconscious somewhere, by friend or not, how are they supposed to act? Putting you in the recovery position right away ain't gonna cut it, but that tends to be people's first reaction. Telling you this from experience :( it needs to say to ring 999 and do as the operator says, identify yourself as a Type 1 diabetic. If you have any Glucogel (which i would recommend carrying with you at all times) direct them to that but to only apply at the operators instruction. For example:

(NAME)
    Type 1 Diabetic
    Glucogel in bag/pocket
    If found unconscious, call 999 and tell operator i'm a T1D, then follow instructions
    Emergency contact:​

I was in a similar position with my partner, he knew about it and helped when i went low but until i had a really bad hypo in the middle of the night, he didn't realise how serious it could be. He's a bit more clued up now :)

Hope this helps! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook