infusion port stickiness

hendrika

Hi,

has anyone had a problem with the stickiness of the infusion port in the hot weather?

We have had big problems with the port either not sticking when applied or falling off before the 3 days is up. This has only started in the last couple of months. we now have to use a tape to put round it to keep it on.

We are given a years supply of infusion ports by the diabetic team, reduces there secretaries time making orders. I was wondering if it could be due to the hot weather or the infusion sets being old. They are still within date, but have been sitting at home for 9 months now.

we have just started using cavelon to increase the 'stick' but the last one still started to peel off on day 2.

Any ideas?

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Probably not the same as yourself but i have noticed on my 3rd day the pad on the canular starting to lift at the edges. Although when removed its quite clear that the canular was secure.
For me i think it could be body hair, i do have to remove it in the area i use for the canular to stick to my skin as apposed to my winter coat lol.

Regards

Martin

Last edited:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Simple solution is to ring up the company and ask for replacements. If you clean and dry the site before inserting the cannula then there should be no reason for it not to stick unless a faulty batch.

Don't just put up with it or discard them treat the goods as if you paid for them out of your own pocket thus faulty goods need replacing.

njd1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I seem to be having the opposite at the minute, I started using a pump last Monday and removing the canula feels like it is taking half my skin off with it :)

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Make sure the area is really clean and dry and then once you've stuck the set down blast it with a hairdryer (without insulin tubing attached) as this warms up the glue and helps it stick better. I do this in hot weather and it really helps. Got this tip off another pumper :)

Reactions: Struma

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Rightly or wrongly but I always clean the infusion site with a Sterets swab before applying (first giving time for the area to dry thoroughly), only had one problem to date with adhesion.