Ingrown toenail problems

xNicolex

Hey, ive been getting ingrown toenails since i was young, i recently went to the doctors a couple of months ago and they said my toenail was curved and that they could remove the offending piece of toenail at the side, i keep getting infected toes and trying to remove the ingrown toenail myself my doctor recommended me not to do it myself because of my diabetes.
has anybody ever had this operation done and does the anesthetic needle hurt in the toe? im really scared so if anybody could tell me about there experience it would help. Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Nichole,

I got this procedure done about 10 years back due to a similar problem. I had both big toes done, one was taken off completely, and the other I had a 'partial removal', where they only remove the sides of the nail. As for it being painful, well it is a little uncomfortable when they inject the anesthetic in the toe, but the actual removal of the nail is very quick and pain free. The toe will need to be dressed for around 2-3 weeks after to stop infection getting into the wound.

It is worthwhile getting this procedure done if you are having persistent problems, once the nail is removed it doesn't grow back, the skin hardens where the nail once was and the problem is resolved.

Best wishes

Nigel

xNicolex

Thanks for your reply, ive been really stressing over this and cant seem to eat because im worrying so much and its now affecting my blood sugar levels, do you think they would give me general anesthetic to put me out or is that not necessary? and how long does the needle stay in the toe for? sorry for all the questions.
Nicole

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
xNicolex said:
Thanks for your reply, ive been really stressing over this and cant seem to eat because im worrying so much and its now affecting my blood sugar levels, do you think they would give me general anesthetic to put me out or is that not necessary? and how long does the needle stay in the toe for? sorry for all the questions.
Nicole

Nicole,

I don't know if they will put you out for this procedure, but I may be wrong. The needle doesn't stay in the toe, they administer the anesthetic in about 2-3 different places around the toe, as I say it is a little uncomfortable at first, but I am sure that you will be pleased with the outcome.

Nigel

ACMG

I'm currently on the waiting list to have a little op on my toe/toes, got to admit I'm not too crazy about the idea of the needle :lol: But it shall be worth it, I'm in such agony at the moment. Doesn't help having dogs that like to jump up and land on your feet all the bloomin' time!

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi
my wife had a ingrowing toenail removed . They don't knock you out for this procedure . The initial needle to numb your toe is the worst bit . However she was back on her feet the sameday and the relief was amazing . Hope this helps :D
JF.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I had major surgery a few years ago following a severe accident. I was bed bound and had injections every day in my stomach and needles elsewhere to take blood and lines put in for this and that. The worst thing is the anticipation of pain, if you look you know when to expect it to hurt so your eyes tell your brain it's hurting. Generally if I didn't look I felt very little indeed.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
xNicolex said:
Hey, ive been getting ingrown toenails since i was young, i recently went to the doctors a couple of months ago and they said my toenail was curved and that they could remove the offending piece of toenail at the side, i keep getting infected toes and trying to remove the ingrown toenail myself my doctor recommended me not to do it myself because of my diabetes.
has anybody ever had this operation done and does the anesthetic needle hurt in the toe? im really scared so if anybody could tell me about there experience it would help. Thanks

Do you see a Chiropodist/Podiatrist regularly ? I see one every few months to have the sides of my nails removed to stop the ingrowth.

Seafront73

I had a crushed toenail removed about three years ago. I must admit I hardly felt the anaesthetic injection as the nurse kept me occupied with his clever discussion while he undertook the procedure. The hardest part was rembering to walk carefully in a sandal while the foot healed, not stubbing the toe on the stairs. The nail did however grow back and is currently painful. Now I have diabetes Class 2 I shall be investigating further foot care.
Geoff