Ingrown toenail

DeeAitch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning
Please may I ask for advice as to who I should approach regarding an ingrown toenail, self care hasn’t cured it, & whilst there doesn’t appear to be any signs of infection spreading the nail bed is swollen & painful, exacerbated by a slipped disc which is making that leg but numb & painful. I ask as I’m unsure as to whether I need to see a doctor / podiatrist/ chiropodist (don’t understand the difference between the last two) & where to find a relevant practitioner near me
Many thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning
Please may I ask for advice as to who I should approach regarding an ingrown toenail, self care hasn’t cured it, & whilst there doesn’t appear to be any signs of infection spreading the nail bed is swollen & painful, exacerbated by a slipped disc which is making that leg but numb & painful. I ask as I’m unsure as to whether I need to see a doctor / podiatrist/ chiropodist (don’t understand the difference between the last two) & where to find a relevant practitioner near me
Many thanks

Dee, please make contact with your GP. You may be able to send him photos of the toe for an initial assessment.

Nobody should ignore infections on their feet, and this is amplified for those living with diabetes, where things can get complex quickly.

Fingers crossed for you, but much better safe than sorry.

Reactions: Shecat and DeeAitch

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the meantime, soak your feet in hot very salty water at least once a day. I see a podiatrist every 6 months and that is what she suggested. It works until I can be seen again. Chiropodist and Podiatrist are basically the same. Those who graduate now are called podiatrists.

Reactions: Shecat

TriciaNT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone
I am new to this Forum but not to diabetes! (37 years T1)
I am also a Podiatrist so if I may, can I offer some advice re your ingrown toenail.
Jane D is right, you must contact your GP asap as you will probably need antibiotics. Your GP should refer you to NHS Podiatry services (depending on where you live, you can self-refer). It is also important to salt water bathe in WARM water, not hot, twice daily for 5 minutes each time. And yes, Podiatrist is the modern name that of Chiropodist to bring us in line with most other countries, but you need to have completed a 3 year full-time degree to be a registered Pod.
Hope you get sorted soon.

Reactions: Speedbird