Inhaled Insulin

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Never used it, but I know Bernstein has cited issues with dosing inaccuracies. You just don't really know how much you are absorbing.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have used it. It's remarkably efficient and whilst Bernstein has his point of view, one thing I noted with it is that it gets out of your system way faster than subcut injected fast insulins, so even though there are dosing "inaccuracies" there's a great deal more flexibility with dosing with it.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I have used it. It's remarkably efficient and whilst Bernstein has his point of view, one thing I noted with it is that it gets out of your system way faster than subcut injected fast insulins, so even though there are dosing "inaccuracies" there's a great deal more flexibility with dosing with it.

How fast is fast?

There would be some advantages to this I'd imagine?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How fast is it? My first attempt to use it I inhaled before eating and was hypo before I'd finished the meal... So the second time I inhaled post meal and remained flat. It basically goes Lungs -> Blood -> Liver, which means it's significantly quicker than Subcut and hits the primary glucose removal mechanism in a way that subcutaneous injections don't.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
How fast is it? My first attempt to use it I inhaled before eating and was hypo before I'd finished the meal... So the second time I inhaled post meal and remained flat. It basically goes Lungs -> Blood -> Liver, which means it's significantly quicker than Subcut and hits the primary glucose removal mechanism in a way that subcutaneous injections don't.

If I ever get the option, it might be worth a try, I certainly will remember to use it post meal.

Natt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was also curious about it.It souns really good from your experience.Do you still use it and if not why not? Is it possible to get it on prescription in Europe or has to be self-funded?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was also curious about it.It souns really good from your experience.Do you still use it and if not why not? Is it possible to get it on prescription in Europe or has to be self-funded?
Why not? Because it is really expensive, you have to import it from the US and it hasn't got a European approval.

Natt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why not? Because it is really expensive, you have to import it from the US and it hasn't got a European approval.
Oh, I didn't know, too bad.Hopefully it will be approved in Europe soon.I guess it is a serious competition for regular insulin producers hence the delay...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh, I didn't know, too bad.Hopefully it will be approved in Europe soon.I guess it is a serious competition for regular insulin producers hence the delay...
No, more a case of Mannkind agreeing a deal with Sanofi to market it, including seeking European approval, and then Sanofi not holding up their side and pushing Apidra instead. Basically, no-one has put it in front of the EMA.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It was being researched and developed back in the 90s, before Pfizer left the UK. When I heard about it I was concerned by the changes in absorption rates if the user had a cold, hay fever, or any other condition that affected nasal tissues. I think it’s recommended for those with a severe needle phobia.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would imagine its absorbtion could be quite variable depending on one's airway status, pulmonary circulation (dependent on ones cardiac output of course). As @tim2000s mentioned he got low pretty quick using it with a meal. That and the fact that it's certainly a lot more expensive than the insulins we use (which aren't exactly cheap) make it a niche item for people who have cutaneous difficulties with subQ injections. Which do occur and can be a big hurdle for diabetics.

Q4444

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This sounds like oral lyn that was developed by a Canadian company in 2005 and received FDA approval and has been approved for use in several countries but not the EU