Initial introductory & welcome thread

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
Hi there!

Although there is an introduction subforum within the main board, I thought it might be good just to have a welcome post here for those that are specifically looking to use this space and so that we can get to know each other.

Do reply here and let us know what brings you to the forum, what history you have with eating disorders if you feel willing to share, what your other hobbies and interests are and anything else besides!

We hope that in time this place will become more lively and so easier for people to interact without feeling too exposed.

Please do get involved!

Reactions: himtoo

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
I'll start!

I'm Claire and as well as a mod for the DWED forum I write content for the website including most of the featured blogs. I have struggled with an eating disorder for around 15 years, mainly anorexia, subtype 2 with aspects of insulin omission in the past. Currently, my condition is stable but there is room for improvement. Using a pump has helped immensely and I have managed to stay out of hospital for nearly three years. I volunteer at my local charity shop as well as for DWED and live alone in Surrey with my gorgeous cat Emily. I enjoy reading, art, journalism and creative writing. My favourite book is Mrs Dalloway and favourite musician Tori Amos, and my username is the title of one of her songs. Favourite colour is purple. I treasure my friends dearly.

Now it's someone else's turn! Don't make me feel all alone haha!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @serenity648
DWED stands for = Diabetics with eating disorders.

this is a subsection of mainly type 1 D's --

people that struggle with eating issues need the extra space that a sub forum like this needs

please ( everyone) respect this space to allow us to help without prejudice or judging or inappropriate dietary advice.

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
what does DWED stand for. I get the ED bit, but not the DW.
Hi there,

Apologies for not clarifying this in my initial post! As @himtoo stated DW stands for Diabetics With as part of Diabetics With Eating Disorders and links to the website and charity of the same name www.dwed.org.uk.

I shall be starting a FAQ thread soon with info as to various terminology, so would prefer if we could stick to this thread being used for introductions if possible :). I do understand that there may be questions you have in the meantime however so please feel able to PM me with any concerns or queries. Thank you.

@himtoo thank you for your informative response! Much appreciated.

Reactions: Juicyj and himtoo

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Heaps of courage @asortafairytale .... I dive between little interest in food, and then a decent amount but still (for my BMI) a good weight having lost a lot

You're in this world for a good reason. Won't say I prefer purple or Tori (who'd care but I happen to love dark blue and Toni Childs) but you write VERY well and evident you're in a space where you need to be.

Be whoever you wish, let dreams and ambitions take you away and may the two meet

jacqfromdwed

DWED Support
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All. My name is Jacq and I am the founder and managing director of DWED which means that essentially I am responsible for the day to day running of the charity. On top of this I am the main contact so I do a lot of training, attend meetings, feedback into NHS policy, sit on various committees, do conference etc. My Phd research is also in Type 1 related eating disorders particularly looking at risk and protective factors, screening and diagnosis and Treatment Programmes. I am also a lecturer. As such I don't really have much of a life outside work but when I do I play a lot of music, I am currently learning a lot of radiohead and jeff buckley stuff. I live in London with my long suffering partner and my beautiful kitty April. I have a long history of Eating Disorder of pretty muh all types and have been in recovery for 8 years.

Reactions: Struma