Injecting at work!!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are some very interesting views on the other thread about how discrete us T1Ds should be when injecting in public. I didn't think this would be the first time someone has had grief for injecting at work, so had a bit of a google.

Turns out there is actually a construction dismissal case on this very topic. So to the OP and anyone else who is struggling it might be worth printing off that case and showing it to your line management & / or HR with a sweet smile and letting them work out that they have to make reasonable adjustments or pay the penalties :)

Apologies if this has already been posted on the other thread. I lost the will to live when someone told me my female stomach was not appropriate to inject in public but a male stomach was:arghh::arghh::arghh:

https://www.xperthr.co.uk/editors-c...ggesting-she-inject-insulin-in-toilet/109551/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a happy injecting at work story for you to brighten your day :)
Last year I got a job in a restaurant. I'd never worked in a restaurant before and I'd only been on insulin for half a year or so, so it never occurred to me that openly injecting might be unwanted. I hadn't told my boss I'm diabetic because I didn't think it was important.
So on my first day during a break I sat down with a co worker and my new boss for dinner. In the restaurant, in work clothes, amid customers. So I got out my meter, tested, got out my pen and injected. It led to a wonderful conversation about diabetes with my boss and co-worker, and 2 customers from the neighbouring table as well and it ended with my boss telling me it made him very happy I took care of my diabetes so well. Never a word about where to inject :)

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's as old as the hills, this one. Or, as old as injectable insulin, anyway! I used to go to the loo to inject, as I felt too self-conscious, but then lost my inhibitions and thought, actually, it's unhygienic and why should I feel ashamed of who I am?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Circuspony
That is a great link and I am sure it will come in very handy for future discussion. :)
I note that the company is based in the UK.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I have had enough horror stories, but one on a lighter side.
I fly a lot for work. On a 2 1/2 hour flight there was a couple beside me on a plane. I don’t eat as it’s only 3hrs gate to gate. There was this older couple beside me. When the meals arrived he was doing his best contortionist impersonation. Although he was VERY discrete I saw a glimpse of a Novo rapid pen (it takes one to know one). About 5 days latter I flew back and the same couple were sitting next to me. We were already talking and I was ready this time when the meals came out. Before he could even start I said don’t mind me I know what you are about to do, however I would strongly recommend this instead and held out my pump. The odds of 2 T1 strangers sitting together on one flight is very low, a return flight 5 days latter at a completely different time well that is lottery territory and no I didn’t win the lottery.

Please let’s not start the great Loo debate again - for at least another 3 months, we have far more pressing issues, Christmas and Easter before we can find time to worry about Loo injecting.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
(Copied from the article in your link): The tribunal accepted that the company’s duty to its other employees might, in some circumstances, have required suggesting or imposing restrictions on Miss Clark’s regime. It gave the examples of an employee with a genuine needle phobia, or with a “Victorian horror of the sight of the small area of skin exposed to allow the injection”.

Apologies if this has already been posted on the other thread. I lost the will to live when someone told me my female stomach was not appropriate to inject in public but a male stomach was:arghh::arghh::arghh:
That someone must have suffered from a truly “Victorian horror at the thought of the sight of the small area of skin exposed to allow the injection”.:woot::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(Copied from the article in your link): The tribunal accepted that the company’s duty to its other employees might, in some circumstances, have required suggesting or imposing restrictions on Miss Clark’s regime. It gave the examples of an employee with a genuine needle phobia, or with a “Victorian horror of the sight of the small area of skin exposed to allow the injection”.

That someone must have suffered from a truly “Victorian horror at the thought of the sight of the small area of skin exposed to allow the injection”.:woot::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

You can imagine the sarcasm in the tribunal with that phrase can't you? It's a square inch of skin - even if they've got the worst blubber, cellulite or stretch marks in the world it really can't freak you out that much????!!!!

Needle phobia I actually understand, but needles these days are so tiny its not a lot different poking a biro into your tummy.

Reactions: Ledzeptt and porl69
D

Deleted Account

Needle phobia I actually understand, but needles these days are so tiny its not a lot different poking a biro into your tummy.
I understand needle phobia. I have shared a room with someone with needle phobia.
However, we both understood and respected each other’s condition. I told her when I was going to inject and she looked or walked away so did not see the needle.
So, regardless of any sensitivity for any size of needle, with a little bit of communication, everyone’s life can continue with very little disruption to all.

Last edited by a moderator:

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With all the hoo haa of gender fluidity , pregnant mothers being called pregnant people, toilet doors having the 'ladies ' removed ...i honestly cant be troubled where i inject andd whos ***** with it ! If you dont likec me injecting to save my life .. tough . BTW .. smokers , vapers and dog owners dont give a s***. why should we ??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With all the hoo haa of gender fluidity , pregnant mothers being called pregnant people, toilet doors having the 'ladies ' removed ...i honestly cant be troubled where i inject andd whos ***** with it ! If you dont likec me injecting to save my life .. tough . BTW .. smokers , vapers and dog owners dont give a s***. why should we ??
Wait, what? What do signs on toilet doors have to do with injecting at work? Never mind every other thing you mention. I hate sounding like a nagging mother but how's your bg?

Reactions: porl69

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 It's called political correctness, or huggy fluffy snowflakes ideology. :meh:
Well, I do own a couple of huggy fluffy snowflaky dogs (dogs were mentioned in the rant I still don't get) but I still don't see the relation with injecting at work.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait, what? What do signs on toilet doors have to do with injecting at work? Never mind every other thing you mention. I hate sounding like a nagging mother but how's your bg?
Brilliant thankyou.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I do own a couple of huggy fluffy snowflaky dogs (dogs were mentioned in the rant I still don't get) but I still don't see the relation with injecting at work.
Its called live and let live

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its called live and let live

..But if this ever changin' world
In which we live in
Makes you give in and cry
Say live and let die....

What did it matter to ya, When you got a job to do you got to do it well,
You got to give the other fella hell.. :)

"pay attention 007.." ;):D

Reactions: Ledzeptt