Injection site help.

Waspy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, first post, so hello!

Rapid about me paragraph: Diabetic since 14 (7 years). Basal Bolus for 6 of those. So that's 2 long acting injections a day, and on average 4 rapid, although it can be more, rarely less. My hba1c could be better, but not terrible at 8.1 (don't know what that is converted, sorry), I'm trying to get it to the 7 range. Never had any issues with diabetes since the day I was diagnosed.

And now for my question.

I'm pretty lean, and am struggling with injection sites. My two long acting shots go in my thighs, without any problems really, and all of my rapid shots go in my stomach. While I don't have lipohypertrophy I do have what I would describe as thickened skin around my injection sites. They aren't lumps, but they don't follow the shape of the rest of my stomach, they don't bother me, but I am concerned if left they will progress into lipohypertrophy. Unfortunately I can't really use my upper arms to give my stomach a rest as they react badly to injections, and I get lumps very quickly! And anywhere else I would guess its absorbed too slow?

How do you guys effectively rotate on your abdomen? I feel like I am too close to the "lumps" when injecting anywhere on my stomach to let them recover. I would post pictures if I wasn't at work...

Sorry for the essay of a first post! Just looking for advice/thoughts from this vast community! Oh and I recently switched to 4mm needles from 5, which has helped loads!

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
Could you try injecting your rapid acting into your legs for a bit?

Waspy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you try injecting your rapid acting into your legs for a bit?

Perhaps, I am just concerned with the slower rate it absorbs. Since switching to 4mm I haven't tried my arms. So I might give that a go with the shorter needle and see if it's better.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Waspy, you can also use your bum for injecting, on MDI I would mainly use my bum and occasionally legs for my basal insulin and my arms and stomach for my bolus doses, do try and rotate your sites regularly to avoid lipohypertrophy problems starting.