1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Injection sites

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by pshawfocus, Jun 3, 2016.

1. pshawfocus

pshawfocus Type 1 · Active Member

30 years type 1, v well controlled on Novomix 30, twice a day.

For years I've switched my injection sites between my calves, thighs and the tops of my arms but a friend mentioned she knows someone who injects into their bum. I can't recall any of my docs / nurses ever saying that was a suitable site? Presumably it would have an impact on the disbursement rate? Does it depend on the type of insulin being used?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yes you can use your bum, the absorption rate is slower than the legs, arms & stomach but that doesn't mean to say you can't use the area.

On MDI I would use my bum and legs for my basal dose and arms and stomach for my bolus doses, have a look at the following which shows you where to inject in the bum:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I too use my bottom for my night time levemir, for many years now, it's a good site to use.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I often use my bum for my basal & I will also inject my bolus there if I'm eating something like pizza/lasagne and I want half my bolus now (so it gets injected in tummy) & half later, when the fatty cheese has been digested and allows the carbs out (so it gets injected in bum or thighs).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pinewood

pinewood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Completely agree with @catapillar.

I use my bum or the upper side/back of thigh for my daily Lantus shot and also use it for bolus shots if I am looking for a slow release; e.g. if I'm going to bed on a higher number than I'd like due to a high-fat meal and want to keep some active insulin ticking over for a few hours.

6. pshawfocus

pshawfocus Type 1 · Active Member

So potentially the short acting insulin in my Novomix will have a slower onset so I should be aware of that before switching sites. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Insulin works fastest in the stomach, arms, legs and bum in that order I believe, obviously this doesn't take into consideration injection site issues like lipohypertrophy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. candi-girl

candi-girl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

i've found no difference in times of onset when i've used my bum.
    bum/leg/arm seem about the same. maybe a tad quicker in the tummy.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook