Injection sites

pshawfocus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
30 years type 1, v well controlled on Novomix 30, twice a day.

For years I've switched my injection sites between my calves, thighs and the tops of my arms but a friend mentioned she knows someone who injects into their bum. I can't recall any of my docs / nurses ever saying that was a suitable site? Presumably it would have an impact on the disbursement rate? Does it depend on the type of insulin being used?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes you can use your bum, the absorption rate is slower than the legs, arms & stomach but that doesn't mean to say you can't use the area.

On MDI I would use my bum and legs for my basal dose and arms and stomach for my bolus doses, have a look at the following which shows you where to inject in the bum:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I too use my bottom for my night time levemir, for many years now, it's a good site to use.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often use my bum for my basal & I will also inject my bolus there if I'm eating something like pizza/lasagne and I want half my bolus now (so it gets injected in tummy) & half later, when the fatty cheese has been digested and allows the carbs out (so it gets injected in bum or thighs).

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Completely agree with @catapillar.

I use my bum or the upper side/back of thigh for my daily Lantus shot and also use it for bolus shots if I am looking for a slow release; e.g. if I'm going to bed on a higher number than I'd like due to a high-fat meal and want to keep some active insulin ticking over for a few hours.

pshawfocus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So potentially the short acting insulin in my Novomix will have a slower onset so I should be aware of that before switching sites. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So potentially the short acting insulin in my Novomix will have a slower onset so I should be aware of that before switching sites. Thanks all.

Insulin works fastest in the stomach, arms, legs and bum in that order I believe, obviously this doesn't take into consideration injection site issues like lipohypertrophy.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i've found no difference in times of onset when i've used my bum.
bum/leg/arm seem about the same. maybe a tad quicker in the tummy.