Injection sites

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this is a topic well covered, wheres quickest, where is best ...etc but recently I have started to notice something strange. My default site is abdomen for food, with thighs for basal and upper buttock for correction/ slower meals. As I honeymoon T1 I tend to need only one bolus a day as most meals I try to avoid high carbs.

Anyway, I have been doing the odd correction a bit more often due to meals being slightly higher in carbs or weather affecting glucose burn etc... and I have noticed something odd and was wondering if anyone else has found this.

If for example I was lingering around the 6/7s and I watch my cgm and after few more readings it stays where it is or rises I will choose to do a correction of 1/2 units depending on how high it is. One or two readings later (5/10 mins) it will start dropping consistently, nice and slowly in fact and never really peak. If this was done in the abdomen (which I have a few times) it would wait 40 mins + to get working. Its as if it starts working almost instantly.

A few theories I have are, coincidence (although this has happened quite a few times now), placebo (my half functioning pancreas starts working a little harder because my brain thinks its just had insulin) or something relating to the low units and the chubbier part of the body, dispersing more evenly into the blood. The latter would explain the reason for no peak, or lack of sudden drop. I will reply to this thread form my phone in a bit to show you this mornings CGM results.

Anyone else encountered this? This is nothing major just thought I would throw it up for discussion.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
c105f5164ae5e821d02e002b5124c1e5.jpg

So that little square is the point at which I took one single unit (enough to drop me one mmol) as i was lingering in the mid 6s all morn. I feel happy when I am in the 5s.

You can see after an hour there is no peak or drop, just dwindling down.

I know one unit it measly and probably isn't doing a lot but it seems to work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app