Injection Sites!

Kirstyyyy4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, is there anyone that can give me some advice? Recently my arms and legs have been really sore because of the amount of injections I'm taking. I try to rotate as much as I can but I cant use my stomach area as it is agony for me. My arms are covered in bruises and sore whenever I touch them, I take my slow acting insulin (lantus) in my leg at night but my legs are also sore. Can anyone help or relate to this?x

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kirstyyyy4 what size needles are you using? Since changing to 4mm from 5mm, the bruising has become a lot less severe.

To use your stomach, have you tried moving further out towards the side and pinching up first?

Reactions: azure

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, is there anyone that can give me some advice? Recently my arms and legs have been really sore because of the amount of injections I'm taking. I try to rotate as much as I can but I cant use my stomach area as it is agony for me. My arms are covered in bruises and sore whenever I touch them, I take my slow acting insulin (lantus) in my leg at night but my legs are also sore. Can anyone help or relate to this?x

I'm using 4mm as suggested above. Pretty comfortable compared to the javelins that I used to have!

The stomach can be sensitive at first but that's now my preferred site! If you can relax in a comfy position then that helps too, The bottom is also an option, albeit a bit more awkward.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You didn't say how much Lantus you take. If it's a lot there are other long acting insulins (Basaglar, Toujeo) that come in IU200 strength or maybe 300u/cc strength, so if you take 60 units it's the same volume as 30 or 20 of Lantus for example.

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

Kirstyyyy4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You didn't say how much Lantus you take. If it's a lot there are other long acting insulins (Basaglar, Toujeo) that come in IU200 strength or maybe 300u/cc strength, so if you take 60 units it's the same volume as 30 or 20 of Lantus for example.
I take 28 units of lantus and I've switched a few times between lantus and levemir since I was diagnosed but both hurt my legs the same.

Kirstyyyy4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm using 4mm as suggested above. Pretty comfortable compared to the javelins that I used to have!

The stomach can be sensitive at first but that's now my preferred site! If you can relax in a comfy position then that helps too, The bottom is also an option, albeit a bit more awkward.
Yes I'm using 4mm needles, and thanks I'll try and use my stomach more.

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

Kirstyyyy4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kirstyyyy4 what size needles are you using? Since changing to 4mm from 5mm, the bruising has become a lot less severe.

To use your stomach, have you tried moving further out towards the side and pinching up first?
I'm using 4mm needles but it doesn't seem to help, my injection sites are still very painful.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @Kirstyyyy4, sorry to hear you're struggling. Are you injecting quite fast? Some of the pens seem to push the insulin through very quickly and this might be adding to the pressure you feel? Can you slow your injections down? Also are you taking care not to move your skin once the needle is in? Which needles have you got?

dmoroccco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also use the 4mm and use my left leg, left and right arm. I use my butt sometimes but after years of using the pump I have tons of scar tissue from pump sites and infections. But I now do 42units of lantis in my leg and it's kinda annoying sometimes and leaves a nice raise bump sometimes. I try to rotate but my left leg and arm are pretty well used up too so I've struggling to find spots because I worry the insulin won't absorb good enough. Also I worry about infections from going so close together with injecting.

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that if you don't use the needles that are right for you then it can really hurt. For example when I use the small four millimeter ones they are like injecting using thin wire and they bend on insertion and sting and leave bruises, so I use the 12mm ones at 29 gauge and I don't feel a thing. So try them all because smaller and or thinner isn't necessarily better.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Im currently using BD microfine 4mm (with the pente-point), which are the best ive ever used, however I was switched to 4mm glucoRX which I found painful, and there was another 4mm one which I also found uncomfortable. My (fabulous) GP put the BD branded one on my repeat prescription.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hospital DN has registered complaint with her bosses regarding a brand of needles that are causing severe bruising to many people she sees over the last few months. Think it may be the glucoRX ones that she mentioned.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Due to having a low body fat percentage I only ever use my stomach. . .and it's been that way for pretty much 20 years now. I can't ever imagine injecting in my leg or arm ever again (shudders at the thought) as that's where I have the least fat.
I did try my ass a few times back in the day but found it too awkward. . . also I've got a pert one so that was painful too. I guess this is one of the perils of being 'hawt'. LOL!

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I would say try using your "butt" for long acting - absorption is not so much an issue and there might be a bit more tissue ( for some -- though not all )