Inside Out. BBC1

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Just a quick heads up about another programme highlighting the impact on the NHS, of the rise in cases of Type 2 diabetes, and whether or not it will bankrupt the NHS.
It looks like it will be broadcast across the BBC regions in the UK, but hopefully someone competent can sort out a YouTube link for those who are geo-blocked.

Inside Out: BBC1, Monday 24th October, 7.30pm

Reactions: Prem51

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @nomoredonuts . I'm glad you brought this to attention. I watched the last BBC programme and was quite shocked. I'm really interested to see what and how they demonise us this time.

M

mist

BBC has about as much truth in their reporting as Hilary Clintons speeches.

But yea, the NHS is always under pressure.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It's not on in Scotland. I could watch it on iplayer. Or I could stand outside in a puddle. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the thread OP, but not for me :)

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is normally an England regional programme. However the summary for Monday under London for 24 October is:

"BBC health correspondent Dominic Hughes investigates the 'epidemic' of type 2 diabetes and its impact on patients and NHS finances. Dr Ranj Singh asks if the NHS could save millions by offering more bariatric surgery to type 2 patients."

Sounds like Panorama Mark II. Or the continuing BBC campaign against people with type 2 diabetes.

However, the content appears to be slanted differently in each of the regions. For example the North East sounds quite positive: "we meet the Newcastle professor who hopes he's found a way to reverse the symptoms of type 2 - and hear from Hartlepool's musical star Amelia Lily on how she has reached the top while coping with type 1 diabetes since she was a child."

East sound rather more negative: "Experts warn the predicted rise in preventable diabetes is putting huge strain on health service finances. With increasing numbers of young people now being diagnosed, the health service is facing a ticking time bomb. So is this a crisis that will bankrupt our already fragile NHS? Inside Out interviews doctors, researchers, a health economist and the NHS clinical director for obesity and diabetes."

North West: "Inside Out investigates the 'epidemic' (sic) of type 2 diabetes and its impact on patients and NHS finances. We reveal how a team from Manchester Metropolitan University is aiming to reduce the recurrence of foot ulcers in people with type 2 diabetes, as they test a groundbreaking new system of treatment. Dianne Oxberry meets one man on the study who narrowly escaped a double amputation."

West Midlands: "Ayo Akinwolere investigates diabetes and the scale of the challenge it presents to the NHS for Inside Out West Midlands. Birmingham has some of the highest diabetes rates in the country, and the programme looks at how changing your diet can bring massive improvements to health."

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is normally an England regional programme. However the summary for Monday under London for 24 October is:
So it's possible that every region will broadcast a different programme, with different contents?

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems about half of each programme is about some aspect of diabetes with a regional flavour, and not all are on a negative perception to the NHS, maybe. All will be available through the iplayer and Sky/Freesat.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems about half of each programme is about some aspect of diabetes with a regional flavour, and not all are on a negative perception to the NHS, maybe. All will be available through the iplayer and Sky/Freesat.
Ok. Maybe I'll try to watch one of the version from the Freesat channel monday Iplayer in Italy is blocked but I have a motorized dish at my parents home - I could receive BBC channels there.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There aren't much details for the 'South', 'East Midlands', 'West' or 'South West' ones apart from references to the 'epidemic' (spit) of T2 diabetes.

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold