Instant help required

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
I'm sitting at my work pc, had pork, a small amount of gravey and apple sauce with cabbage for lunch about 2 hours ago.
I've been getting kind of white spots (blank vision?) before my eyes, obscuring my screens.
Tested my blood and got 3.2
Now I feel hot and sweaty but think that could be from seeing my result.

Advice please

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
Cheers.
My blood sugar reading have be too high for too long I'd forgotten what a hypo was like.
chocolate and nuts consumed

thanks again

Jay3109

Gef - it's always helpful (or at least I always find them so) to have a packet of Dextro Energy tabs in your pocket or bag. They bring me up (but not over the top) pretty fast, and 2 tabs is sufficient. Only 12 calories too (which is better than the chokkie fix!!). You may find after a hypo that you get the munchies. Try and resist if you can (easier said than done) as suddently getting a craving for bikkies and mars bars is not good!!! :wink:

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
I had 4 squares of 70% cocoachocolate and some (and counting) pistachio nut.
All washed down with diet coke.
I've been eating high % chocolate for so long I can't stand mars etc.
70% is the minimum I'll eat, 1 square, 1.7 grams of carb as my treat for surviving another day.
But I prefer 85% or higher if I can get it :twisted:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My type 1 husband keeps a bottle of lucozade in his desk drawer. Swears it works quicker than the tabs. Only needs a couple of swigs. I sometimes get zigzag lines round my periferal vision, like I used to get with migraine. I don't have low BS with it though and think it's migraine without the headache. I'm beyond that "certain age"

l0vaduck

Just a tip: if you want to raise sugars quickly, don't take anything with fat or protein (ie nuts or chocolate) as this slows down absorption of glucose substantially. As you weren't very low, and are type 2, this worked ok for you but if you were dropping rapidly or on insulin it might not work quickly enough.

A sugary drink is the fastest way to bring sugars up. Lucozade is brilliant if you can swallow it - I can't - the bubbles hurt my throat, but Ribena works for me, or even orange juice.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Gef,
The problem with using chocolate to treat a hypo is that you need to increase blood sugar levels quickly. Chocolate doesn't do that. Although it does contain sugar (less so with dark chocolate) the fat content slows the rate at which the sugar is absorbed into the bloodstream. You need something that is much faster acting, like dextrose tablets. You can also get Lucozade tablets that are just as effective as dextrose. If you have some handy then fresh orange juice or full-strength coke will also provide a rapid rise.

Nuts are primarily protein and won't help you at all with a hypo. In fact the oil content could just slow down the action of whatever else you have taken.

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
Thanks for all the tips.
Strangely I had another hypo that night, 2.9 after eating salami and cheese, my usual 'dinner'.
I legged it to the pub and had a pint of full fat coke which seemed to d othe trick.
These were my first 2 hypos in years, yes my control has been that bad, and I was'nt sure what to do so did panic a bit.
I've stuck with the lo carb and not had any more.
I now have dextrose tablets at work, in my digs, at home and in the car.
I used the chocolate last time as I was at work with no way of getting anything better.

I now have a diabetic clinic appointment on the 12th September and want to stick with the diet until then, at least, to see what all my readings are.
They should be vastly improved :D