Insulcheck timer

hague161

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tabloid newspapers, Right wing politics, Semolina
Has anyone else had a negative experience with this piece of kit? When mine arrived I fitted it correctly, but it would just restart the clock at the slightest jog. the next one wouldn't work at all, a third arrived with an already dead battery. In the end I just gave up. It's a great idea, a really really good idea. The problem appeared to be that because they only make one universal timer with different sleeves for different pens the trigger mechanism is a compromise. I know that there's an alternative timer, but it only works with disposable pens. My nurse has obtained for me the Lilly Memoir pen which I'm really looking forward to, but that still leaves the long acting injection out in the cold. Surely the Lilly approach is the way forward - build the timer into the pen. I'd happily pay good money for a timing pen that actually works.

AMBrennan

Is there any particular reason you don't want to use disposable pens? Saves you from having to get a new pen every two years, and they cost the same according to my pharmacist.

hague161

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
AMBrennan said:
Is there any particular reason you don't want to use disposable pens? Saves you from having to get a new pen every two years, and they cost the same according to my pharmacist.
Um - if a disposable pen costs the same as a non disposable one and the non disposable one lasts 2 years (or more) then surely that is a massive saving. I admit, I've never paid for a pen in my long diabetic life, but I'd happily shell out for one that does what the memoir pen does, which is tell you when you last injected and the amount of your last 16 injections. Is there any type 1 who'd not find that incredibly useful. In fact much more so than fancy meters that plug into my pc etc. Injecting twice is potentially fatal.

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a problem with the timer coming loose, although I had dropped my pen a couple of times! Novopen Echo has a built in timer for lantus & Levemir.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hague161

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nicolan6534 said:
I had a problem with the timer coming loose, although I had dropped my pen a couple of times! Novopen Echo has a built in timer for lantus & Levemir.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Hi that is great news (re the Echo) I've just emails Novo Nordisk for details - It looks like it's aimed at kids - but I quite fancy a snazzy pen. I'll contact my nurse and see if I can get one. It also records the dose - like the memoir pen.

hague161

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Um - if a disposable pen costs the same as a non disposable one and the non disposable one lasts 2 years (or more) then surely that is a massive saving. I admit, I've never paid for a pen in my long diabetic life, but I'd happily shell out for one that does what the memoir pen does, which is tell you when you last injected and the amount of your last 16 injections. Is there any type 1 who'd not find that incredibly useful. In fact much more so than fancy meters that plug into my pc etc. Injecting twice is potentially fatal.

Are you sure that the Echo takes Lantus - Lantus is not a Novo insulin.

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My colleague is on lantus uses the echo (she told me about the pen, although I use it with levemir).