Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Hi all,

How do I adjust my insulin to what I eat? Is it all about carb counting? How do I know how much insulin to inject for how many carbs I consume? I’m doing a DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) course in October but I can’t wait that long! I need to be able to control my blood sugar ASAP!! Sick of all blood sugar spikes!!

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a formula you can use on a Canadian School’s health website

Can’t say it worked for me though. I recently switched to Treseba long acting insulin, I take 34 units at night. This gives me a stable bs right through until mid day the following day. Unless I eat something this stays stable. If I have a cappuccino and Kefir yogurt drink (20 units carbs) I take about 6 units of Aspart fast acting insulin. I can last out until about 5pm then I get a low BS. I eat a reasonable meal about 100 carbs and take 15 units of Aspart. Best not to eat anything else then 9pm take the Tresiba. I am following this regime in an effort to lose weight. I am 6ft 2in and weigh 100 kg I want to be 90kg. Since taking insulin I have gone from 81 to 100 kg,

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

How do I adjust my insulin to what I eat? Is it all about carb counting? How do I know how much insulin to inject for how many carbs I consume?
Its about a number a different things, how much you eat, what your carb ratio for that time of day is (as it can change through the day) and what your correction factors are (also can change dependent on time of day)
When I was on my carb counting course (2020ish), they sent me a food//insulin diary that i had to fill in for the week before the first day of the course - noting what amounts of carbs I'd eaten and when, how much insulin I took, various blood tests through the day, any correction doses I took and what happened to my blood sugar as a result - most on my course did already have rough carb ratios either worked out over the years or educated guesses from their diabetic teams (I'd already been diabetic for about 40 years at this point so I knew mostly what mine were anyways but they still did get changed slightly with help at the course)
I think there are some online courses that can help though - bertie maybe - but not sure - I'm sure someone else will be able to link it

ie. it involves data, and a fair wodge of trial and error

• Useful
Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM