insulin allergy

123natasha123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, i am allergic to insulin and also have very high anti bodies to insulin. have tried various things to try and help but with no luck. Any one else having the same problem or any new ideas?

123natasha123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry forgot to say, i have had tests done, to see if it was the type of needles or preservatives in insulin, but it is actually the insulin molecule itself. i get what almost looks like a bee sting at the site that spreads for 24hours. they are hot to touch and very swollen. i have trouble controlling my sugars and change insulin every 2-4 weeks to try and keep the reactions down. I have tried antihistamines, immunosupresents, have been on the pump, tried various creams and skin washes but all not helped. any ideas?

linsay

Hi. Just wanted to say that its hard enough being diabetic but this on top must be an absolute nightmare. I had no idea that this happened. I hope you get something that stops this soon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

123natasha123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey, yea i have been on animal insulins, as well as every insulin on the market and even insulins no longer on the market. About 8 years ago i was offered a pancreas transplant, but as i have already been on immunosupresents in the past (which made me very ill) and for that would need them again i decided against it, as well as there being a very high risk my body would reject it anyway and the risk of the operation. And yea a nightmare is one way of putting it lol.

123natasha123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update.

I have now been treated with Rituximub, a chemo drug, azathioprine an immunosuppressant and go for 8 weekly IVIG. It has made a huge difference as the insulin does what it is meant to and no more painful injection sites. There is talk at the moment of maybe being able to stop IVIG as the immunology department feel that my b cells should not come back. To start with the azathioprine is being dropped by 50mg. So let's see what happens.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Wow, an update after almost 7 years from the original post.... glad to hear you are feeling much better and getting somewhere. Good stuff.