Insulin and Metformin

SheenaB

I have been diabetic for 12 years and moved to Spain 3 years ago. I am on Lantus at night and Humalog with meals and test 4 times a day and until recently have not had any real problems. However I now have a new doctor just taken over at my health centre and he will not prescribe enough test strips for me saying that two times a day is enough and has put me on metformin 500, 1 tab a day. I am very worried about giving myself insulin without knowing what my sugar level is and I do not know what the effect of taking insulin and metformin is - should I decrease my insulin intake. My doctor has no english and my spannish is not good enough to cope with medical problems. HELP

Trinkwasser

I'd suggest either trying to see a different doctor, or buying your own strips to augment what he prescribes.

Hard to tell what effect the met will have as this will depend how much insulin resistance you have etc.

Theoretically yes, you will need to reduce your insulin, and probably more as your metformin is increased, but as to how much, without testing you will have no clue. Be sure to carry some glucose tabs or orange juice to guard against unexpected hypos. If you should have one, try to crash into his car, that might change his mind <G>

gbtyke

On the insulin and Metformin topic - is it usual for Type 1's to take Metformin?

When I got my diagnosis changed from type 2 to type 1 my diabetes nurse told me to stop taking Metformin as it was no good for me as I was type 1 and had never been overweight.

I noticed however that my morning readings rose after stopping the Metformin so I have taken 1 X 500mg for the last 2 days and the morning reading has gone from 6.2 to 5.2.

So does the cardiovascular advantage and liver effect of Metformin apply to type 1 as well as type 2 and would it be worth my while asking for a second opinion on Metformin?