Insulin and the art of making bread

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is not actually a post about making bread so if you're looking for recipes, move along...

I've noticed over the years that there are two schools of making bread. One school says that you must measure everything very carefully if you're ever to get a decent loaf. The other school says that once you've got a bit of experience, you'll be able to just throw things together by feel, you'll know without measurement whether you've got it right, and all this messing about with weighing scales is a waste of time. I've always been firmly in the second school, and it doesn't seem to do my bread any harm.

Back in November, l started injecting insulin, Lantus every night and Novorapid before meals. l was told all about carb- counting and encouraged to keep a record of carbs eaten and insulin taken so that I could work out my insulin ratio. But I quickly realised it wasn't that easy. Some days, the same meal and the same insulin and the same exercise would give wildly differing results. l read up around how insulin works, which foods have a lot of carbs, and so on.

And after a while, I evolved my own method. I still keep track of insulin doses and BS levels before meals but I've stopped tracking carbs. I just look at the last few days figures, see what insulin I gave myself, what the result was, remember more or less what I ate for the last few meals, what I did in terms of exercise that day, then come up with an insulin dose that seems right. The decision rarely takes more than a few seconds. And I usually get it right. My HbAC1 was 9.2 when I started on insulin in November. Last week's was 6.1, so I'm obviously doing something right. I seem to be managing my insulin in the same way I make bread - by informed instinct. It's certainly not what the doctor ordered, but he seems pleased with the results.

Does anyone else deal with their insulin dosage in this apparently slapdash fashion?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI carandol

Slapdash? I wouldn’t call your approach slapdash, just old fashioned. Before blood testing was introduced that’s exactly what we used to do, as instinct was all we had.

As for not counting the carbs, well I think it’s more that if we have a healthy diet and a daily routine, it’s quite odd for the days to be radically different. I mean it’s not like I would have a single tangerine for lunch one day and a whole frozen pizza the next.

But like you I have days that appear the same, but the results turn out different. I used to over-react and do the odd few extra units but I’ve found it rarely helps, and sometimes makes things horribly worse.

If instinct works well for you, I think that’s great. Developing that instinct isn’t easy, so well done.
czj

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks, there was such a resounding silence when I posted this I felt sure I must be a weirdo :D

I tend to do the opposite to you, and eat way too much when my blood sugar gets low. Yesterday I managed to get from 3.3 to 11.2 in a very short space of time. :roll:

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey, you might be weird, but only for thinking we'd rush to admit we're slapdash :lol:

hazza456

Hey I've been on lantus and novo rapid since this time last year and had to guess my insulin dose before meals th whole time. Sometimes it's massively wrong sometimes it's right. Feel a bit lost I attended clinic regularly but they don't seem too concerned at my guess work. They have just referred me for scarb counting course, after a year. Never had hba1c checked since last August so not sure what's going on there.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sorry to hear you are feeling lost. Most people have spells like that, even if we have been diabetic a long time. All of a sudden our body reacts differently and we don't know what to do get back in control.

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd have two options. First one is to get more support from your Dr and Diabetic nurse. They probably would think they hadn't done their job right if they knew you were still worried, and they are there to help. There are also practical things they could offer, like a meter which suggests how much insulin to take next time.

The other option is to consider if they really mean what they say, and your readings are nothing to worry about. What sort of readings are you getting?

I'm probably not the best person to reply, as I was diabetic for a long time before blood testing was introduced, and I sometime feel it's over-rated. It can just make people worried, when they are really ding a pretty good job of balancing things.

I bet you are doing fine Give us some more detail of the kinds of readings that worry you, and I'm sure we can give you some help.