Insulin and travelling

hewjameson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Does anyone else have problems with their insulin when they travel?

The last few times I have been abroad my insulin doesn't seem to work as effectively. I store it in the overhead compartments and in Frio bags.

I'm unsure whether I just become more insulin resistant when away or that insulin isn't as effective.

Thanks in advance.
Dominic

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hi all,

The last few times I have been abroad my insulin doesn't seem to work as effectively. I store it in the overhead compartments and in Frio bags.

I'm unsure whether I just become more insulin resistant when away or that insulin isn't as effective.

Thanks in advance.
Dominic
I spent a long time working in SE Asia where the standard advice was to always store insulin (even current pens/vials) in the fridge because it was way too easy for the vials to get above 25 degC under normal room temp conditions (Outside averaging 30deg plus). Frio bags are key travel accessories , but they work best in low humidity environments, so not always great in high humidity places - helps to store them soaked & refrigerated when you can while using for travel.
Do you typically cross many time zones? Big changes in average air temperatures? How bad is jetlag, change in sleeping habits, changes in diet, especially carb intake? All can very significantly alter your insulin sensitivity.

That said, I think the earliest I can next get on an international flight could 2021.

Lilylala

Hi I to use the Frio bags when I travel , also when I get to my destination I put it in the fridge , or keep the frio bag topped up if there is no fridge .No found a problem with the effectiveness of the insulin but needed to adjustment due to being "" in holiday mode "" to my dosage .

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Dominic

I have a particular liking for hot countries, and usually find the opposite to yourself in so far as I have to take less insulin whilst there. It seems to be generally accepted that warmer climates aid insulin absorption (although my Endo' wouldn't agree with that).

Where are you travelling to and for how long?

@oldgreymare @Lilylala
Whilst I confess that I myself have put Frio wallets in the fridge, the instructions for use specifically tell you not to do it.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I have a particular liking for hot countries, and usually find the opposite to yourself in so far as I have to take less insulin whilst there. It seems to be generally accepted that warmer climates aid insulin absorption (although my Endo' wouldn't agree with that).

Where are you travelling to and for how long?

@oldgreymare @Lilylala
Whilst I confess that I myself have put Frio wallets in the fridge, the instructions for use specifically tell you not to do it.
Yes one needs to keep an eye on Frio bags in fridge as if very efficient (that said rare for hotel minifridges) they can freeze!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
For some reason, I couldn't put this image in the above post.

upload_2020-5-4_15-27-36.png

Lilylala

Hi I to use the Frio bags when I travel , also when I get to my destination I put it in the fridge , or keep the frio bag topped up if there is no fridge .No found a problem with the effectiveness of the insulin but needed to adjustment due to being "" in holiday mode "" to my dosage .
Sorry I was referring to putting insulin in fridge not the bag.Sorry didn't check typo

Reactions: urbanracer

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I travel a bit for work for periods less than a month and travel with insulin unrefrigerated but put it into hotel fridges when I arrive. Sometimes I might dispose of any unused insulin when I get back home if insulin is unrefrigerated for long periods during the travel.
I did travel Europe last year for 6 weeks so had the insulin refrigerated most of the travel.

riverbill

When I traveled, I figured how much supplies I needed and added 50% more because something always doesn't work when you're away from your supplies. For keeping insulin cool, I was turned on to a frio bag.