Type 2 Insulin and weight gain.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course you're right @Kristin251 - when the DC first talked about "low" carb - they said aim for 10 - 12 x 15g serves a day (so 150 - 180g) but never below!!

Dietician now suggests 6 - 8 per day (90 -120g) but I am trying to keep below that as much as possible - but obviously way above what you eat. She is not a fan of the HF part of LCHF - so for now I'm not going completely over to that, but aiming to increase proteins and keep to reduced fat (that I have for years) if I have any dairy.

Virtually no grains, saturated fat, starch, processed foods (and always check the carb content if I do buy for convenience) or below ground vegies (though I'm told carrots are fine??) and very few nuts. Portions are reasonable - I think

Probably my two indulgences - a glass of dry white wine with dinner 2 -3 nights a week and a piece of high cocoa dark chocolate now and again could go - but hey a girl's got to have some pleasure!!!

Sue, when I started reducing my carb intake, I was only looking at bringing my blood numbers into line. I had no aim to lose weight. At that time, aside from shunning any low fat versions of products (like low fat yoghurt, or lower fat spreads), I didn't add much fat. My luuuurve handles just melted away; quickly.

When I wanted to stabilise my weight as I go as think as was sensible, I had to up the proteins and fats a bit to make my weight balance.

I must stress, however, that I was not taking any medication, never mind insulin, so didn't have to consider that. If you are going to make drastic changes, please do ensure you know how to adjust your insulin doses, if necessary.

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are going to make drastic changes, please do ensure you know how to adjust your insulin doses, if necessary.
Thanks @AndBreathe - think I said before, that until I'm out the other side of surgery I won't be doing anything - other than keeping to lowish carb.

After that, see how things are - but the Clinic trusted me to titrate myself up, so hopefully it will be OK to try it down

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Insulin doesn't make you fat it just gives you added weight til your body is rehydrated and working properly again. Now in theory you can then exercise and cook yourself good none processed food. Living longer and possibly losing that added weight.
I agree low carb, less insulin needed.
Mind u it doesn't matter how much insulin I need, same weight added so it must be from the carbs.
R-ala and low carb staved off my weight gain but it did come with carb ingestion, eventually.

Reactions: duckyhenny

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a type 2 on Insulin,and I have put on weight since being on it.you say it's carbs not Insulin that puts weight on,I have to disagree as I don't eat many carbs.some times my weight comes off the following week I have put on and it is very dishearting.
I have been on a diet for near three years and still have not lost the weight I want to loose. Even have a small plate,
Any suggestion will be helpful
Jean

Hello again "Lovely lady". To add to my previous post: When I went to Uganda in July 2001 I was Diabetic on tablets and I weighed 12 and a half stone. There were no flush toilets, just a hole in the floor, and I found it difficult to "squat" at 59 years of age. So I started to eat as little food as possible so that my toilet needs would be reduced. Three months later I weighed 10 and a half stone after eating very little but only carbs. FOOD PUTS ON WIGHT. Less food takes weight off.

Now I need to learn my own lesson: This is my 5th week on LCHF and in the first 3 weeks I lost 3 kg. I weighed myself this morning and I have not lost any weight these past 2 weeks even though I have been able to reduce my Insulin needs from 44 units am to 40 units and in the evening from 34 units to 20 units. I MUST BE EATING TOO MUCH LCHF.

Reactions: Ultramum

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My weight has gone back up to 85 kilos - but my Insulin needs have dropped from 44 am to 38 am and 34 pm to 18 pm.

I reckon I stil eat too much.

Reactions: Ultramum
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone else put weight on since starting on insulin? I have put on nearly a stone in the last 6 months since starting insulin injections.
Hi There
I started Nova Rapid and lantus a month ago and put on nearly 4kgs. I was size 8 and it’s size 10 within a month of starting on insulin. I don’t want to gain anymore

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I weigh around 15 stone but I eat less than 1600 calories a day, I have quite a bit of muscle , I was told by my consultant that insulin is the culprit ( 50 year's for me ) if I wasn't on insulin I'd weigh about 7 stone lol

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Kristin. Please do not be tempted to "shut your mouth". The information you have posted is very sound and will, I am sure, be a big help to someone. I don't think people really take offense and the more opinions that are posted on this Forum the better it is for all of us. Your comments are polite and sensitive.
Have a happy new year.

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin doesn’t put on weight but what you put in your mouth does!

Craigh82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I lost 3 and a half stone in hospital and on humlin m3 then I left on June 1st and was put on tresiba and novo rapid and I've put all of my weight back on.

Sent from my SM-G903F using DCUK Forum mobile app