Insulin change

Foxymax

Hi There, I have always been on Hypurin Porcine 30/70 insulin injected with u-100 disposable 0.5ml syringes, I recently went to a diabetic clinic and my recent HB1AC was 6.8. I spoke to them about lumps in my legs and hypos and was told that perhaps i needed to try a different insulin a highly purified one as that could help and to go onto a penmix delivery system with 4mm size needles. I have just tried the Humulin M3 kwikpen and liked the fact that the needles are so small but maybe you can tell me why I wasn't offered the pen delivery system for my porcine insulin, as I have found out that it is highly purified and that they do 4mm needles to go with a pen for this which I wasn't made aware of. I like this porcine insulin as it does give me hypo warnings and I have found out that they do a pen and shorter needles for my old insulin, so why the change? Apart from the cost I cannot make slot of sense about this, any advice would be appreciated.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Foxymax ,

Welcome to the forum.
It’s been a long time since I’ve used porcine & drew it out of a vial with a syringe..
I’ve used the human stuff with pens since the late 1980s?

I can only surmise your doctor prescribed what they know or have been trained with?

looking at the website. https://www.wockhardt.co.uk/medicines/patients/hypurin/

It appears the cartridges could fit the Sanofi Allstar pro reusable pen. (Which I use for my Lantus.)
Some cartridges like for Novorapid has a screw top. The Hypurin posrcine doesn’t. Hence my mention of the Allstar pro..

Edit; just noticed they recommend the “Auto pen.” Which oddly enough I’ve used for my Lantus at some point, before moving to the Clikstar then the Allstar model..