Insulin dose ...

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
hello, since cutting down on carbs I have reduced my insulin to 14 units twice a day from 20 units twice a day and have been wondering whether 14 is quite a low or high dose as I have no idea. Also, I take Humulin 1 and would like advice about what type of insulin this is, short/ fast acting etc. Thanks all x

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin dosage is really individual - one person can get by with a relatively small amount, whilst others need a lot more. I take 106 units of long acting, and normally around 8 to 12 of fast-acting (but currently doing keto diet, so haven't needed any fast-acting for a few days)... I'm very insulin resistant, hence the 106 units.
I believe that Humulin 1 is sort of intermediate, and has a longer effect than a fast acting, but a shorter effect than some of the long-acting insulins. (I'm on Toujeo for long-acting, which lasts for 24 to 36 hours).

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Humulin I belongs to the family of intermediate acting insulin. Its onset of action is 1 to 2 hour (average not exactly), peak of action 3.5 till 12 hours after injection, and a total duration of anything between 12 to 24 hours depending on the parameters that affect insulin. 14 units are not high if you are getting BGL within range. Similarly they are not low. It is advised to contact your doctor regarding change of doses but in the short term, as long as you are not getting high or low levels, your insulin should be okay.
Humulin I comes under different names such as NPH, Isophane, and Humulin N.
4.f.i.jpg

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Insulin dosage is really individual - one person can get by with a relatively small amount, whilst others need a lot more. I take 106 units of long acting, and normally around 8 to 12 of fast-acting (but currently doing keto diet, so haven't needed any fast-acting for a few days)... I'm very insulin resistant, hence the 106 units.
I believe that Humulin 1 is sort of intermediate, and has a longer effect than a fast acting, but a shorter effect than some of the long-acting insulins. (I'm on Toujeo for long-acting, which lasts for 24 to 36 hours).
Thanks for info, appreciate it x

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Humulin I belongs to the family of intermediate acting insulin. Its onset of action is 1 to 2 hour (average not exactly), peak of action 3.5 till 12 hours after injection, and a total duration of anything between 12 to 24 hours depending on the parameters that affect insulin. 14 units are not high if you are getting BGL within range. Similarly they are not low. It is advised to contact your doctor regarding change of doses but in the short term, as long as you are not getting high or low levels, your insulin should be okay.
Humulin I comes under different names such as NPH, Isophane, and Humulin N.View attachment 29006
Thanks, you’ve got a lot of knowledge to share x