Type 1 Insulin for a UK diabetic in the US

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone ever used insulin that has been out of the fridge for longer than a month?

About twenty years ago, I did a four month stint backpacking round Eastern Europe and then six months in Asia. Took a bit of persuading the gp to give me a script for 4 and then 6 months worth of insulin. It's so long ago that I can't even remember the names of the insulins.

Maybe modern insulins are more delicate now, but I was still using the same insulin supply at the end of both trips as I was at the start.

None of it had been in a frio or in a fridge the whole time, just carefully packed in the backpack and stored in a dark space in hostels.

I think the 28 day thing is the manufacturer's lawyers being paranoid about their client being sued. I think they last well over 28 days.

But, like I say, maybe modern insulins aren't as tough as 20 years ago. I don't know.

Even if they do wimp out after 28 days, it's not like they just suddenly stop working. The efficiency slowly degrades in stages, so you might need to inject a little more for the same effect, so there will likely be plenty of safe room to decide, ok, this is tailing off now, better bail out to the nearest small town and see if I can buy some.

It's not going to be like one day it works and the next it doesn't. There will be plenty of time to find some more, even if it will cost you a buck.

If I was doing another long trip, I'd do the same again - take several months supply, so I at least know I've got it all there, but have a back up plan to get more if it fails: depending on where I'm going, could be insurance, or consul/embassy details to steer me through local systems, or dollars.

Looks like a fantastic trip ahead of you!

Reactions: Hellikopta

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From personal experience I know the rules are pretty slack across asia, but assumed the rules in Canada would be similar to here.
Yes, I have never been asked to provide anything, all insulins can be purchased over the counter in Canada.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for all your comments. I have managed to find out that some pharmacies in the US will dispense without a prescription, some will do it with a UK prescription but most are supposed to only dispense with a US prescription. I get this prescription from the doctor which is likely to cost about $180 for the pleasure of the consultation.

The cheapest price of the insulin (Levemir and Humalog in my case) can be found using a website called www.goodrx.com. 5 Flexpens of Levemir in a carton will cost $425 or £315 whereas a carton of 5 Humalog cartridges costs $535 or £396. Humalog is available in individual vials to buy but not Levemir.

I would love to be able to take the enire 5 months supply with me from the UK but insulin will only last for up to a month after you take it out of the fridge I'm told so that's no good. I can't send it to myself as it would freeze in the hold of the plane and then not be of any use. My only choice is to buy in the US - I won't be near enough to Canada until I finish the walk and I'll be off home then anyway.

Has anyone ever used insulin that has been out of the fridge for longer than a month?

Yes I have, itll still work but be prepared to change at the first sign of loss of potency. Get a few Frio bags and take as much as you can - If you can get away with just one script that's a big saving.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you not have a friend or contact in the US that will keep some of your stock in their fridge and post out as required?
Airline holds very very rarely actually drop below freezing, so it may be feasible to have some posted out in small batches.
If you had a Libre, you could monitor glucose levels very carefully indeed, thus insulin efficacy.
I travel extensively and often use insulins well over the month at room temperatures even in hot climates. The drop in efficacy has been minimal - but I do use the Libre so have a continuous check.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I remember someone saying a long time ago on a different thread that one of the traditional inslin is sold by Wal-Mart for a much lower price, sorry I don't know the details.

Hellikopta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fantastic comments everyone. Thank you so much for the info. I think that there are enough people here with experience of using insulin over the 1 month limit that I was told for me to be happier about this aspect. I'm going to take a 5 month supply from the UK in hand luggage, keep it in Frio bags and use my Freestyle Libre to keep things in check. I can always buy insulin if it looks like it is not working as it should. Happy days :D

Reactions: Dodo