Insulin injections

Bridie9408

Having visited my diabetic clinic for check up today the doctor was happy enough with my control and hb1c was 57. However he again suggested going on 4 injections a day as it would help limit the number of low reading's. I got some leaflets to read about it and have few weeks to make up my mind. I feel pretty scared and anxious about changing and knowing how to inject and eat using short acting insulin. He has suggested Tresiba for long acting insulin. At the moment I use Humalog mix 25. Any information would be greatly appreciated to help me take the next step and encourage me it would be good idea. Thank you in advance.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi Bridie, as a T!D, not as professional advice or opinion:
Welcome to the world of modern insulins!!
As you may have noticed The Mix insulins are not very flexible in dosage. You change one dose and that affects both the short and long acting doses. That may be one of the reasons you are getting low BSLs.
5 injections per day gave me freedom and flexibility. But I using a different long acting insulin to Tresiba,, one that required 2 injections per day. I could skip a meal and the short-acting insulin that went with it if need be or delay it a bit.
I had more insulin doses with which to fine tune the BSLs.
Yes, it takes more organisation to do shots before each meal, particularly before lunch but once in the routine, the changes were worthwhile.
Not having been on Tresiba I shall leave it up to other members to describe their experience with it.
Best Wishes :):):)

Reactions: Bridie9408