Insulin Prescriptions

bonerp

Have recently joined a new GP as moved house. Last one allowed me to order 10 vials at a time.

New one refuses to let me have more than 5 at a time - reason....In case I get burgled!!!!! :shock:

Anyone else faced such ridiculous rules??

Surely if someone wanted to steal large quantities of insulin they'd go to a chemist!!!

goji

bonerp said:
New one refuses to let me have more than 5 at a time - reason....In case I get burgled!!!!! :shock:

How strange - do you live in a crime-ridden area populated by theiving Type 1 diabetics?? :lol: :D

My GP lets me order what I need when I need it.

I would write to the practice manager and complain. I understand that GPs are keen to prevent wastage of medications - but as a Type 1 it's not like you aren't going to use up the insulin as you will never be coming off it.

Also I think for each prescription the chemists charge a dispensing fee, so it would be more cost effective for the NHS to write one prescription than to write two. You could mention that to the GP.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bonerp,

I get 3 boxes (15 vials) in total from my gp, I can't see the point in prescribing 5 at a time as this will only mean having to go back to re-order time and time again! :? As for getting burgled and stealing the insulin................ :lol:

Nigel

Elc1112

I haven't had that problem with insulin, I tend to get 3-4 boxes at a time. I did however have an equally ridiculous experience with test strips for my BM. My insulin was changed about a year ago. As a result I was testing my sugars more regularly than normal while I got back into a routine. As you would expect, I used more BM needles and strips in this time. My doctor would only prescribe 2 boxes (each box has 25 strips) of test strips. I ended up reordering quite frequently.

One day my repeat prescription was rejected an I was summoned to see the GP about my "misuse of medication". If I was going to chose something to become addicted to, I highly doubt it would be test strips!

After much arguing they agreed that 2 boxes at a time was a bit silly and upped my allowance. If your doctor still refuses to let you have more insulin then I would try and find a chemist that offers the prescription collection service. Places like boots and Sainsburys do it. I place all my repeat prescription orders with them and collect in store a few days later. Still not ideal but at least their opening hours tend to be more flexible and you can select a pharmacy near to home or work!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly, there is a market among body builders who misuse insulin. But I can't see them breaking into an unfamiliar on the off chance a house might contain insulin. Nicking from fridge of a friend who has diabetes, perhaps, which would also be burglary due to entering building with intent to take property.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Surely it should depend upon how much insulin you need a month?? When I was on MDI I wouldn't get through 10 vials in a year!!!!

Surely if you need more then you can put in your repeat prescription for ahead of time, and when it comes up for review to say that you had just proofed that you need more on your prescription????

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get through less than 2 cartridges of each type of insulin a month, so a box of 5 lasts at least 2 months, maybe 3, I don't see the problem in having to go to a chemist 4-6 times a year. If you have insulin resistance so need more insulin then you should be able to get more at one time, my GP told me you could get 3 months worth at once.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My GP will never let me have more than a month for anything, and is very strict about the 3 month reviews. If I'm not prepared and organised about getting my drugs reviewed I won't get them!! If I put in my repeat prescription more than 5 days ahead of the month, then I will have to wait as well.
10+ may be 1 months supply for bonerp, not arguing against it, but just seeing another angle if the 10 wan't fully used up.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use small doses, so one or two packs of cartridges lasts ages, they couldn't give me just one month's supply. For other things I get a month's supply at a time. However, when my parents moved here they truthfully told the new GP that they used to get 2 months at a time from their old GP and the new GP agreed to do the same. (Although their prescriptions are reviewed 6-monthly whereas mine is annually.) Worth a try.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the injection days we would get 5 novopen refills at a time (1 box) of each type of insulin. Now we get 2 vials (10ml) at a time for the pump. That's about 3 months worth of insulin at a time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Gosh Sue, wish I could go 6 months or annual without a medication review, I wonder why theyvary so much. Mine have to be reviewed every 3 months by my GP. Even my dogs have to have their medications reviewed every 3 months as well by the vet-guess this may be to get another fee though!!!!!

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
donnellysdogs said:
Gosh Sue, wish I could go 6 months or annual without a medication review, I wonder why theyvary so much. Mine have to be reviewed every 3 months by my GP. Even my dogs have to have their medications reviewed every 3 months as well by the vet-guess this may be to get another fee though!!!!!

Perhaps that's my GP's way of acknowledging that I get my diabetes care at the hospital. 3-monthly reviews with GP would drive me crazy

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I get a months supply of stuff at a time, i don't get 3 month medication reviews, if one of my prescriptions runs out i get a note saying nothing will be dispensed until i have one.

Which sounds bad but i have 6 of everything, so technically it should be 6 month reviews, but i see a diabetes nurse at my GP as well as the hospital every 3 months so she renews it everytime i go, so technically i've never had one :lol: