insulin pump on nhs

nancy57

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

My son, 4 next month, was diagnosed with T1 on Jan 31st and has been on a multiple basal/bolus injection regime since. His BG levels are still in the mid teens following his diagnosis three weeks ago, although they have finally started to come down slightly in the last 24 hours.

Anyway, our diabetic team have suggested we go onto a pump and have suggested we meet a rep from Animas. I have checked their internet site and you have to be over 18 to qualify for a pump and CGM. There are companies that provide CGM for children. My question is, do we have to go with the animas pump, as recommended by our hospital or can we request a pump that comes with CGM?

Any advice greatly appreciated

jodysd6

The newest animas pump, the vibe does have the ability to integrate with dexcom cgm, and I believe dexcom has recently been approved for use in children though would still probably need to be self funded (though much cheaper used with a pump than as a stand alone system), I'm sure others with children may have more info/opinions but I also believe I remember at some point in the past that animas was highly rated for children because it has very small increments for dosing. I had a Medtronic pump first and now have an accu chek combo (which a friend has for her 6 year old and she likes it) and I have not had a problem really with either but if I could choose a new pump today I'd probably go for an animas vibe because of the dexcom feature as if you are considering using a cgm too I think that's a big selling point (most seen to agree the dexcom cgm is more reliable and accurate than the Medtronic one)

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Suggest you contact INPUT - see their web site. Lots of info about CGM and pumps and they are really helpful for your type of query. V unlikely you'll get CGM funded - it is a bit cheaper from Animas (vs Advanced Therapeutics) but the approval for under 18 yrs is in the USA - not sure if it applies in UK, but call them and ask! Last I heard, Animas would not supply sensors for kids. As you are new to all this, I wd advise you to take one step at a time and not get both technologies at once as it will take you some time to get to grips with each. I've used CGM for nearly 5mths now and am still learning every day after 50 yes with T1! Have found the Power Within web site and FB pages invaluable for info and support, esp for parents with T 1 kids. Good luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
There are differences between Scotland and England & Wales when it comes to the provision of insulin pumps (CSII - Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion), my friend, and even differences in the area of Scotland that you come from.

The NHS DOES provide pumps. I've been using one since December 1998. (It's not just the cost of the pump that needs to be taken into consideration, my friend. The ongoing expense of 'set' changes can prove rather costly too. The 'set' changes are the cannula, tubing, and reservoirs, which need to be changed every 3 or 4 days.)

The following web page offers some guidance on your chances of getting a pump dependent on where in Scotland it is that you live.

Although I don't have copies of the guidelines for the use of pump technology in Scotland, you MAY find that some of the information offered by NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) to worth reading. It MAY, at least, give you some idea of what you need to do to 'prove' to your diabetologis/endocrinologist that pump technology would aid you in controlling your diabetes. You will, of course, need to show your doctor that you'd be willing to take a more active role in your diabetes care.

Marykly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
My son is just on pump 4 weeks now
Its animas one
Its great
If u dont want the one on NHS u will have to pay around £4000 its not cheap...
Try it and c
My son next month is getting the cgm
Fitted
Its ok