Insulin pump preparation: what do I do?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

When I received my Dexcom on 24th December 2019. My nurse explained the 3 appointments to me and she said I can start pump therapy on 17th January which is my first appointment but if I don’t feel ready, I can start the week after. In theory if I felt ready, do I skip Tresiba on that day? or take my Tresiba, go to my appointment and see how I feel? If I don’t take it and I’m not ready on that day, do I panic and take Tresiba and continue my day? Unfortunately she didn’t say anything about my usual background insulin routine. I’m aware Tresiba is in my system for some time.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should ask your nurse what to do about Tresiba, I'm surprised she didn't tell you , if she was giving this as an option.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What time of day do you take it?

When I made the switch, I was also using Tresiba, a split dose morning and evening. I took the previous morning’s dose, but not the evening or next morning, as it stays in your system for 40+ hours. I corrected with bolus, and still went a little,low the first day or two while it left my system. Keep plenty of hypo treatment to hand, whatever you choose to do x

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What time of day do you take it?

When I made the switch, I was also using Tresiba, a split dose morning and evening. I took the previous morning’s dose, but not the evening or next morning, as it stays in your system for 40+ hours. I corrected with bolus, and still went a little,low the first day or two while it left my system. Keep plenty of hypo treatment to hand, whatever you choose to do x

I take Tresiba first thing in the morning and I don’t split it. Thank you, I will do :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Are you going straight onto insulin OR are they going to try you with saline for a few days 1st? Very important you find this out before you decide to stop/reduce your Tresiba!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you going straight onto insulin OR are they going to try you with saline for a few days 1st? Very important you find this out before you decide to stop/reduce your Tresiba!

Hello,

They don’t do saline, straight onto insulin if I feel ready.

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So the nurse got back to me and she said to take Tresiba on Thursday morning and skip it on Friday but they will program the pump to deliver less basal and I should keep hypo treatments nearby.