Insulin Pump

LeahMariee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Recently I've been getting negative comments about my insulin pump. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same thing? Sometimes I almost feel ashamed:( any advice?? xx

Sent from my iPod touch using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's a shame @LeahMariee, what are these people saying?

Personally I've not experienced any negative comments. of the few people I've told the comments have been positive and encouraging.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @LeahMariee
welcome to the forum:)
you wear your pump to keep you alive -- and for anyone saying anything to you that is what my reply would be.

can you share the sort of comments you are receiving ?
and from who the comments come from ?

it is hard sometimes being D when you are young so just know you have loads of people here that understand

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
so far none aprt from a friend who is aslo Diabetic who said he would hate been attached all the time

shawncee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently I've been getting negative comments about my insulin pump. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same thing? Sometimes I almost feel ashamed:( any advice?? xx

Sent from my iPod touch using DCUK Forum mobile app
I don't wear an insulin pump but I understand. I get the same negative response when I wear my dexcom and iports. My dad doesn't even want to look at them and I'm not sure how to feel about that. :/
I still don't hide them though. I think they're just as much a part of me as the dots on my fingertips. I celebrate my "cyborgness" and call it techy.
I won't say the comments won't hurt sometimes but you have to get pass it and realize that not everyone is going to be aware about diabetes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't wear an insulin pump but I understand. I get the same negative response when I wear my dexcom and iports. My dad doesn't even want to look at them and I'm not sure how to feel about that. :/
I still don't hide them though. I think they're just as much a part of me as the dots on my fingertips. I celebrate my "cyborgness" and call it techy.
emoji41.png
That's sad about your Dad's response to your i-Ports and Dexcom, but way to go on celebrating your inner cyborg. That's how I like to look at it too! Now I just need to make all my borg bits talk to each other.... :borg:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The only comments I have had about my pump are from children and that is a curiosity related question. Some parents have been horrified when the children ask about the pump then just stand and soak it all in as I show the children how it works. In child speak it's my bionic/pocket pancreas ;)

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I always get "Wow - an old school pager, haven't seen one of those for years!", then I can explain what it is!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The only comments I have had about my pump are from children and that is a curiosity related question. Some parents have been horrified when the children ask about the pump then just stand and soak it all in as I show the children how it works. In child speak it's my bionic/pocket pancreas ;)

More fool the parents, by nature children are more inquisitive and not afraid to ask :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
More fool the parents, by nature children are more inquisitive and not afraid to ask :)
Lol I suspect it's more embarrassment on their part because they are worried I would be upset or offended by the questions.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Shallow minded people me thinks!
I'm not yet using a pump but it will not worry me one bitvshould i get a negative response after all a pump is to improve your health and potentially reduce the risk of complications.
I myself will be issued a pump in June and will see about wearing it on my arm, well thats my in experienced idea of the best place for it for me.
The first thing that i said to my wife when i was told that an application is being made for a pump was that i shall look like a Borg wearing it along with glasses and a hearing aid, all in good humour might i add.

Regards

Martin

Sent from my D6503 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got a negative response from a friend when I first got mine, she challenged me with every difficult situation and what I'd do with my pump, 'how would I wear a dress' 'where will it go' 'people will see it' 'how will I go swimming' 'it will stick out like a sore thumb when on holiday in a bikini' 'how are you going to sleep with something attached to you' me being me I didn't allow it to phase me and had an answer for everything but I mentioned that someone getting a pump and feeling unsure about it could be put off by the things she asked, she never mentioned it since!
I love when people seem genuinely interested in it or shocked when they see it and are like wow what's that?! I enjoy explaining about the device that helps keep me alive :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app