Insulin pump

LaughingHyena

Re: Insulin pump

You can read the NICE guidelines here http://www.nice.org.uk/ta151

I think for most people you have to show that MDI is not working, either HbA1C is high or you are having lots of highs and lows which you are not able to iron out with other methods. Dose also comes into it for some people, I guess especially kids, the pump can give much lower doses than the whole or half units a pen can manage.

From reading other people's experiences on here it does seem to vary quite a bit from place to place as to just how the guidelines are interpreted and how easy it is to get a pump.

SimonClifford

Re: Insulin pump

(If you look through Hansard, the Secretary of Stare for Health is asked every 8 weeks or so, something along the lines of "How many insulin-dependent diabetics use insulin pumps and is this figure consistent with his department's NICE guidelines?"
The reply they ALWAYS give is, "These figures are not held in a central source and are managed locally. I cannot give an answer". As far as I can tell, this has been happening for the last 7 years.
As it happens, the number of T1s on pumps is FAR below the NICE guidelines. (I think 10-20% is recommended, but it's nearer 3-6%) It's a scam run by fearful PCT "officials".

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people