Insulin pump

Hi I am in need of abit of advice? I am a type 1 been a diabetic since age 11. Lately I have been talking to my diabetic nurse about getting the pump put in as I struggle to lose weight as I only really inject on the bottom of my stomach. I had an appointment on Tuesday and she showed me how they work and I was unsure about it as i am use to my own ways of things (lets just say i am not keen on the change lol) I am back there tomorrow to talk to my doctor and maybe to test one out with just air or saline in it. I have been doing well with my blood testing lately as I never use to test. I've been having afew lows but not feeling them till I get down to about 2. I was wondering if people could let me know if you have had the pump put in and how getting on with it. Many thanks

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hello there, there's a full section on insulin pumps on this forum which has a lot of useful advice - have you seen it? I've had a pump for 18 months now and it's been much better for my control and for eliminating hypos. I still get them but I find them less aggressive than when on insulin pens. You do have to work hard to get the pump set-up correctly which can take time, but the more effort you are willing to put in the better the results. With me, I use the Teflon cannulas and they are inserted in my stomach every 3 days. I found the whole thing tricky to begin with but that was just the newness of it all. Now changing my set takes 10 mins in total and that includes filling the reservoir with insulin and priming it. I have not had any problems with the sets I use - no bubbles or blockages so I'm very happy with my pump. I would seriously consider one if you're being offered it. All the best and let us know how you get on. :thumbup:

twood80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I felt exactly the same as u when I was first offered a pump, I think it's just the change that's scary and putting yourself back into a position of being slightly out of control and out of your comfort zone. I was talked into going onto the waiting list by my nurse as it was a 3yr wait at the time and I'm about to get my pump nxt mth now and over the last couple of yrs I've really come round to the idea tbh, I've had a lot of support, information and conversations with people about the pump and I think it's definitely going to be a positive thing. I understand that the 1st wee while, especially wk one, is supposed to be quite hard going getting all the adjustments right but it's supposed to be a good thing thereafter. I'm really looking fwd to getting one now, I think if your being offered one you should definitely think about it tho cos they're quite difficult to get a hold of and I've only had positive feedback from people regarding them.
good luck Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thanks for getting back to me. It was more I wanted to the pump as I inject bout 5/6 times aday if bloods are high and I have levemir twice aday aswell. I think I may just give it a trial run see how things go then see from there really. They also wanted me to start carb counting which I get quite confused with.

Mrspuddle

Carb counting is so important and a vital part of getting the right insulin dose, doing the dafne course really changed things for me.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was very unsure at first also when offered the pump. Definately don't miss the 5~7 daily infections. Definately learn to carb count also, a massive help on either mdi/pump. If not sure trial the pump. Worst that can happen its u go back on mdi, always that option which is why I decided to "try" the pump. Best thing I ever did :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Fi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been a pump user for 18 months now and think it has been the best thing I've ever done. My control used to be really bad. My Hba1c was rarely below 12 and I didn't bother. When my husband and I decided that we want to try for a baby it was suggested that I give the pump a try. I had to show I was committed so had 6 months prep of regular blood glucose testing and taking more care of my diabetes. It paid off and once on the pump things improved more. I now have an Hba1c of 6.8, daily bloods hardly ever above 8.0 and I feel better for it. Yes it was hard work to begin with but worth it. I've had my ups and downs along the way but these haven't put me off. I've even been to Australia for a month and it was no hassle with my pump. I worried that I'd be stopped at each airport and have to explain what it was but the only place I set the alarm off was at Heathrow on our return flight. The security lady was lovely and said I was her 3rd pumper that day and had seen lots of others. No fuss was made and I was on my way. Take this opportunity and I bet you won't want to go back to pens, I certainly don't.

How long have you been on the pump if dont mind me asking? Also i get sometimes small lumps and bruises on my stomach from where i inject all the time. i do try top of legs and bum but it happens in legs too! so i think the pump would help me with that aswell. I think also it's the changing of the canula your self what puts me off abit aswell.I will trial run one first see how get on... Just don't like the change I think lol

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been pumping now for (let me think) 5 months. Gosh times flown lol. Wasn't so much of a concern re cannula changing but having one in all the time. For the actual cannula a few to pick and can find one to suit you. As for it being in all the time don't feel a thing. Worth having adhesive remover though to take it out. Alot easier. Some people feel a but weird having to carry the pump around but I just see it as a unique fashion accessory, usually clipped to my belt.

Fi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to be bad for lumps when I was on pens as I injected the same place all the time. Since being on the pump this hardly happens. I do a set change every 3 days and rotate sites, upper arms, bum, thighs and stomach. The divice for the insertion of the cannula is simple to use. I have a Medtronic minimed pump. The company is great to deal with, orders come within a couple of days and I get a pump on loan to take on holiday as a back up incase anything happens to mine.

Fi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm like you Brett with my pump being like an accessorie. I work in a hospital so most of my colleagues know what it is. For those that don't they assume it is my pager as its usually in my pocket or clipped to my waist band.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Alot of people have thought mine is a pager lol.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your low treat as normal with qa sugar followed by a small carby snack. If low pre meal and pump is set at say under 4 hypo, wil not give bolus advice till you test with an above 4 reading. If just on the low side (not hypo) wil automatically reduce bolus depending on target levels. Can also choose settings to reduce bolus by a certain percentage if you know you wil be active afterwards. Same if high will automatically give extra bolus, again depending on currant reading and target levels. Alot of testing, adjusting to get your basal, targets all programmed and set up at the start but worth the effort. Did take me about 6 weeks to get things working correctly

Fi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You have your Basel settings set over 24 hrs (continuous background insulin). When you have something to eat you tell the pump how much carbs your having and what your BG is. The pump calculates how much Bolus insulin you require depending upon how much active insulin your body still has, what your BG was and how much insulin:carb ratio you need. Sounds a lot to take in but it will make sense when you have the pump! You may find you take less insulin than you do just now. If your BG is high and you take no carbs the pump calculates the correction dose for you depending on your BG range ie aim to be 6.0 - 7.0. So if you have a BG of 12 and no active insulin you would get a correction dose of 5 units.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
does sound complicated lol but its easier than it sounds once u have the.pump. my levels have never been so stable, even in this heat :) should say I'm using the accu chek combo.

Yeah I've had a few lows with this weather. Tho saying that I was in spain last week and only had couple of lows few highs and rest wasn't to bad. But this week I'm feeling it abit more tho I was high this morning as I had lasagne for tea last night.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another bonus with the pump lol. on mdi I used to struggle with higher fat meals such as pizzas,lasagne and takeaways. Usually couldn't take all my bolus at once as it would result in a low followed by a high from the fat slowing digestion. Now, on pump theres a thingy called multiwave bolus which when selected will give an initial percentage of bolus followed by the rest split over the following hour. Problem sorted.