Insulin pumps

janemum

My 6 year old daughter has had diabetes for 15 months and for the last few months her bloods have been haywire. The hospital are now talking about a pump, I have not spoke to anyone with a pump and a bit wary of going down this path. The funding will be there and I know that we are really blessed to be in that position any opinions or experiences would really help thanks

carringtone

Hi,this is the first time ive logged on having spent the last 26 years of diabetes with my head in the sand. But now i have made the break and have worked so hard in the last 3 yrs to get on top of control I have finally succeeded...yay! However, the down side is that I have autonomic neuropathy which has recently ended up with my lack of hypo warnings resulting in 2 injuries,one needing surgery. Next week I start the DAFNE course and an insulin pump has been suggested. Not knowing much about it yet i am scouring the NET for info. Does anyone know what the set criteria is for being accepted for a pump? Reading a few comments it would seem it is really a post code lottery and probably not likely to happen unless I self fund.

jopar

Carrington

you will enjoy the DAFNE course I know that I did when I attended it several years ago...As to puts google INPUT here you will find all the information of pumps, NICE guidelines and how to get help if you have to fight the PCT for funding etc...

janemum

I can undestand that you are weary concerning the pump, as yes it's attached 24/7 which generally throws up problems/concerns both with parents and adults (going onto pumps) location, tubes catching them etc etc..

There are advantages with pumps that you just can not obtain with injections...

They have the ability to deliver very small amounts of insulin (0.05 of a unit) Most pumps can be programed to deliver a set basal rate per hour and I think that there is one or two that can be programed by 1/2 hour segments..

All pumps have 3 different bolus deliveries, where bolus insulin is divered either all at once, over a even selected period of time or a combination of these two.. So much easier to match insulin to how food is asorbed at different meals/times..

Another adavantage is that they can be more reactive to match needs, as they all come with Temperory Basal Rates, that you can increase or decrease the basal delivery for a chosen period of time (normally selectable in 15 mins segments) very handy when you'll got are changing exercise patterns or avoiding an pending hypo (you can turn the pump down) etc

Most pumps now have many wizards on them, that will calculate the necessary bolus when eating a selected amount of carbs, and also calculate a correction if required.. For children it can mean that those over-see them at school, clubs friends parents are happier to handle some of the diabetic side of things...

Another advantage is you only have to insert an canular every 2 to 3 days (pending now problems with sets)

The disadvantage is more based around having to wear 24/7, I've never had a problem with this and it took a couple of days to get used to wearing my pump, I've caught the tubing a couple of times, but only pulled out one set (and it didn't hurt) but you get used to where to put the pump to avoid this as much as possible, to start off with pumping is hard work, as you work towards crasping a new conception and piece of kit (but working it is no different than learning a new mobile phone) getting settings right etc.. But well worth the effort involved...

There are some people who find that the pump isn't for them, but these are few and far between, most parents and pumpers wouldn't return to injection after they starting pumping...

You can always try it, if your daughter isn't ready then you can always hand it back, and she can try it when she's a bit older if she choses, but is worth a try if offered..

Angelicus

Dislikes
People who like the sound of their own voice and think they know better than everyone else.
I have taken to calling my pump either my ISP (insulin Service Provider) or External Pancreas.

Kids absorb information much better than adults. I've seen YouTube video's showing a 4yr old managing (very well) their own pump, calculating carbs and how much insulin he needed. I was amazed.

I'm pro pump and definitely think kids would get a great deal of benefit out of using one. Talk to your daughter, see how she feels about it. Also remember to talk to her school teachers, since they are responsible for her during her school hours. If you go ahead with it, I would also suggest doing it at the beginning of the summer holidays, give you time to get settled with it at home before getting the school involved.

Good luck :)

richiejmorris

I am definately pro pump. Our little boy has come on leaps and bounds in the past 6 weeks since starting.
A common day was 2 or 3 hypo's and then really high 20+, this was on lantus and actrapid inj. Now he rarely has a hypo, maybe once a week and some highs although they tend to be if we dont properly carb count. He also ate very little in the year on injections. Now he nearly takes my hand off!

Initially your task is to change the site every 2 or 3 days, it gets easier, first few times is a bit tricky. I would recommend numbing the site with emla cream for 1 hour prior to site change as our wee boy doesn't bat an eyelid when we use it. It can cost though. PCT may give you a few patches to get you going. After that you can but it in tubes and put on with a guaze or plaster.
Your other task is to learn how to carb count (bolus). Get some digital scales and start putting together a list on the frige for common meals regarding carb content and just add to it as you go along. The diabetic educators will help with this.
The basal will work itself out in time as the educators will refine its delivery as you go along.

Its the best form of management out there so best of luck.
RJM