Insulin pumps

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I've recently been told by my doctor that it would be possible for me to be put on an insulin pump and and as excited as I am I'm also really nervous as I don't know much about them.. I know it will all be explained by doctors but I won't be getting to that stage until about July.. I was wondering if anyone who is already on one could tell me some of the basics :) it would be much appreciated thanks.

justjay

Re: Insulin pumps

I've been on a "pump trial" since last year and my DSN recently told me I should be able to get on it permanently. It has changed how I can deal with this now.

They basically drip feed (read=pump lol) you (fast acting) insulin at set times, and for set amounts as set by you and the nurse. Instead of bolus injections, you do that through the pump too. It seems a lot more accurate than MDI imo. You can also set temporary basal rates which have been really helpful when it comes to work, activities and illness.

I've only been diabetic for 3 years and am not the most knowledgeable compared to some members here but this is my basic way of explaining it! There's a lot more to it than just the above but I honestly find it much more control able for my lifestyle.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there :) I suppose my main question is about changing the infusion set (?) if that's what is called lol is it painful or is it about as sore as a regular injection?

justjay

novowolf said:
Hi there :) I suppose my main question is about changing the infusion set (?) if that's what is called lol is it painful or is it about as sore as a regular injection?

One of the names lol erm not particularly. As with injections, if you hit a nerve ending or something you know about it but overall no its absolutely fine I've found. Removing it if your a male like me with body hair, it can be though..... :lol: I've found it can become sore when rubbed against or caught tho

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for the fast reply lol as I'm a girl I don't think I'm have that particular problem :) haha but thanks all the same. feel free to drop me a message if you would like to talk. :)

justjay

novowolf said:
Thanks for the fast reply lol as I'm a girl I don't think I'm have that particular problem :) haha but thanks all the same. feel free to drop me a message if you would like to talk. :)

No worries :smile: the perks of having the app on my phone! Haha you're screen name gives nothing away :lol: but thought I'd add it, just in case you know : )

Thanks for the offer, likewise drop me a pm if you like or have any questions