Insulin requirements after pregnancy/constant low sugars!

auratrebor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I had my little boy last week at 37 weeks via planned C-section. Long story short they were concerned about his size (born at 8lb 9 so very big!) and the fact I was having lots of hypos/needed less insulin.

I am now struggling massively with constant low blood sugars. Have dropped by long acting (Tresiba) to 25 units. Prior to pregnancy this was 50 and during pregnancy was 60.

My short acting (Fiasp) pre pregnancy was a ratio of 1.5 units to 10 grams carbs, during pregnancy ended up at around 2/3 units per 20 grams. Now I'm doing less than 0.5 units to 10.

I am breastfeeding too which I know lowers your sugars.

It's becoming almost impossible to manage, and the only advice from my diabetes team was just to keep lowering it and it doesn't matter if I run them high for now. I am reluctant to do this as I don't want to lose control now and also hate having to go to the toilet constantly which happens whenever my blood is too high.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any advice appreciated!

• Hug
Reactions: lindisfel and JAT1

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on the birth of your baby and welcome to the forum. In my opinion, as a Type 1, I agree with your team that you need to continue to lower the amount of insulin you take. If you do it one unit at a time, your blood sugar will eventually rise and you will learn your new carb to insulin ratio, without going way over the top into uncontrollable high numbers. Also keep checking your blood sugar frequently each day and eat fast acting carbs without anything like protein or fat with them to avoid severe hypos when you are going too low. Keep us informed on how you are doing. When I was breast feeding, I didn't have diabetes. Others will be along with their experiences. Enjoy your little one. They grow up so quickly!

• Friendly
Reactions: EllieM