Insulin requirements when exercise is not possible

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually do a lot of walking and go the gym 3 times per week. I have found that walking reduces my blood sugars quickly and by a good amount of mmol. But I have hurt my knee and am going to have at least a few days of sitting around and not walking (I have crutches!!) My blood sugars have been high ever since I hurt my knee despite correction doses! (lowest has been 7.6, but it has been as high as 15, mostly around 10 to 12) Really fed up because I was getting my average below 9.

I know we are all different but has anyone had this experience of high sugars after an injury? I'm guessing that my body is in stress, but added to that is the lack of exercise. I'm wondering if I will need to increase my basal as well as bolus? I am going to speak to the DSN on Monday, but just thought I'd ask here as well.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, I find my basal increases if I haven't exercised but I'm on a pump so changes are easy. If you are one injection a day it may be more of a faff. But I'd only increase it one unit at a time until it worked. Not much help I know if your seeing your nurse on Monday. By the time you've done basal testing you'll be seeing them.