Insulin resistance through the roof in third trimester!!

Lolli24

Ok I am panicking a little now! For over a week now my insulin needs have pretty much doubled and ive had a few readings of 12! I'm 28 weeks on Friday! Is this normal and what's the best way to cope? Does anyone have any tips? Many thanks xxx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm 20 weeks and I'm starting to struggle a little, I'm peaking after meals and Iv found its the carbs that are doing it .. Iv been advised to cut my carbs down and see if that helps!
Xxx

Lolli24

I think I'm gonna have to cut carbs out altogether as i don't eat that many anyway!! Thanks for the advice! I'll try that :) xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My insulin needs shot up at around 25 weeks. I started to get lots of highs eg my blood sugar after breakfast was suddenly 12 when it would normally be 5. I'm on a pump so I increased my basal rates slightly, but the major change I made was upping my boluses.

My insulin to carb ratio is now 1:5, up from 1:10. A big change!

My consultant says not to limit my carbs but to have as much insulin as I need to keep my sugars within range.

NB - I have Type 1 diabetes. If you don't, your needs may be different.

An increasing need for insulin is a good thing, my consultant said, as it shows the placenta is making all the hormones it should : )

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My insulin needs shot up at around 25 weeks. I started to get lots of highs eg my blood sugar after breakfast was suddenly 12 when it would normally be 5. I'm on a pump so I increased my basal rates slightly, but the major change I made was upping my boluses.

My insulin to carb ratio is now 1:5, up from 1:10. A big change!

My consultant says not to limit my carbs but to have as much insulin as I need to keep my sugars within range.

NB - I have Type 1 diabetes. If you don't, your needs may be different.

An increasing need for insulin is a good thing, my consultant said, as it shows the placenta is making all the hormones it should : )

Lolli24

Thanks azure!! It's good to know that it's totally normal!! Thank god! Yeah I am also type 1 and it sounds that mine is doing exactly as yours is! My ratio used to be 1:10 also! I'll just keep upping my quick acting and see how I to :) thanks x

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey , I'm in the exact same boat .
I'm now 30 weeks and mine have started to slightly rise not majorly but I get so annoyed when I know it could be lower .
I haven't got any advise lol , I'm literally seeing what the readings are doing each day and adjusting when and were I need to .

Not too much longer to go. :dummy::dummy::dummy:

x