Insulin resistance without excess visceral fat

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Tim55 and all

I'm a recently diagnosed type 2 (Jan this year) and stumbled across your mention of Alpha Lipoic Acid and the B12 And B1 supplements and just had to drop in and say hi. Since diagnosis I have tried the Michael Mosley 800 cal per day diet which did help but I'm now about 9st in weight and 5'7" tall and can't lose any more weight. And my blood sugars are going up again so had to go back on metformin (2 X 500mg per day but about to up it tomorrow I think). Since diagnosis I have started noticing numbness in my feet, mainly my big toes, which I never noticed before but now can't stop thinking about!

Really interested what you were saying about the supplements. Wondered if you could tell me more. I will be down Holland and Barrett tomorrow morning anyway though!

Hello diabetes is very much about genes, some have a large capacity to store fat and will never get diabetes, some just need a few kgs extra and they will get diabetes. A healthy bmi is between 18.5 and 24.9 according to international bodies, your height and weight gives you a current bmi of 23.2

You can still lose 13 kg before you are classied as underweight, and you do not need to lose all of that probably either, maye just 7. So if you can, try and lose some more weight.

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi Tim55 and all

I'm a recently diagnosed type 2 (Jan this year) and stumbled across your mention of Alpha Lipoic Acid and the B12 And B1 supplements and just had to drop in and say hi. Since diagnosis I have tried the Michael Mosley 800 cal per day diet which did help but I'm now about 9st in weight and 5'7" tall and can't lose any more weight. And my blood sugars are going up again so had to go back on metformin (2 X 500mg per day but about to up it tomorrow I think). Since diagnosis I have started noticing numbness in my feet, mainly my big toes, which I never noticed before but now can't stop thinking about!

Really interested what you were saying about the supplements. Wondered if you could tell me more. I will be down Holland and Barrett tomorrow morning anyway though!
Hi There

Sorry I missed this yesterday.

If you take a look in the "complications" section of this forum, you will find a thread entitled "Help in dealing with neuropathy"

In it, a couple of people, notably Omnipod and winnie53, report a lot of scientific papers pointing to the benefits of ALA and derivatives of B12.

I can tell you that taking ALA and methyl Cobolamine (methyl B12 and possibly Benfotiamone do seem to help me deal with the numbness I had in my figners and I feel I have some improvement to the dead meat feeling in my feet, although it is is taking a long time and I do have bad days, and worse days, but i am still persevering with it.

Certainly, I am convinced the ALA helps my FBG levels as if I stop taking it, they definitely rise.

I have actualy gone kack to 3 Metformin daily since I last posted in this thread, but my figures are encouraging (15 day average is usually between 5.3 and 5.4, which leads me to believe on previous experience my Hba1c will come in around 5.1 equivalent - low 30s.

I have posted in another couple of threads in that area too - and on one a member called susikav reported even better success than me, albeit from a less bad starting position than mine.

From what you say, I suspect you are in a similar place to the one she was in.

Bit short of time at the moment, but if you need me to post some links I will do so later.

Hope you get on top of it

Tim