Insulin resistance

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have underestimated what seemingly innocent things can effect insulin resistance - I am experiencing an unexpected period of it. I have Delayed on set muscle soreness from a newish exercise class (I am finding it very hard to get off chairs) . I read in diabetic athletes handbook that DOMS can cause insulin resistance but I thought that the sensitivity caused by the exercise may cancel it out - NO. I am having to nearly double my dose of rapid insulin - I initially thought I was becoming double diabetic. Any one else had any unexpected causes of insulin resistance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's a new one on me @Bon83 , hopefully once you adapt to the new exercise the IR will disappear.

Really only experience IR when eating meals high in fat, other than that I'm fine.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have underestimated what seemingly innocent things can effect insulin resistance - I am experiencing an unexpected period of it. I have Delayed on set muscle soreness from a newish exercise class (I am finding it very hard to get off chairs) . I read in diabetic athletes handbook that DOMS can cause insulin resistance but I thought that the sensitivity caused by the exercise may cancel it out - NO. I am having to nearly double my dose of rapid insulin - I initially thought I was becoming double diabetic. Any one else had any unexpected causes of insulin resistance.
DOMS (or simply aching really badly after doing something unfamiliar, new or for the first time in ages) usually subsides very quickly. As in, it will happen once or twice and then should stop/subside a lot.

Never had IR after jumping on the bike for a huge pedal after a fortnight at work, maybe the exercise overrides any potential IR from the muscle aches?

How new is your class exactly?

Are you finding your IR is steady throughout the whole day or just post exercise?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are not sure what excersise your doing? Are you stretching out "warming down" after class? @Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remembered reading about it and stupidly didn't pay much attention! Apparently it us because the DOMS your muscles slow down the rate that they can refuel this causes the insulin resistance. The class was body pump which is a weights class with a bar - I am not strong but give it a good go with the squats and lunges (hence the sitting getting up issues ). I am certain it is a thing as I usually get quite a good level of sensitivity from interval exercising (short bursts of intense exercise ) the problem starred about 24 hours after and I am on day 2 of DOMS now and my morning bg is 13.2 after no problem food and plenty insulin to cover it. Thinking back I think it also relates to other things - if I rub with fresh legs my bg seems to be a lot steadier, if my legs are fatigued I get quite a big initial rise? I do do a bit of stretching but I could do more - time restrictions

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry lots of predicted text there - I meant run not rub lol

Reactions: ickihun

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a new one on me @Bon83 , hopefully once you adapt to the new exercise the IR will disappear.

Really only experience IR when eating meals high in fat, other than that I'm fine.
Fat is also a problem for me! It's the delay really - shows up in my bg 4 or 6 hours later or even over night!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've experienced extreme insulin resistance as a result of resistance training when doing a particularly intense "As many reps as possible" session. It kicked in about 8 hours after and lasted until 36 hours after. During that period I needed between 2x and 3x as much insulin. Following that, my sensitivity recovered.

I regularly get DOMS, but normally don't see insulin sensitivity made worse as a result of it (and given the tools I have available, I am able to track insulin sensitivity data).

@Jaylee Personally I don't find that warming up/down makes any difference to DOMS - for me the best solution to reduce it is taking BCAAs before and after training.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gluten seems to affect my IR a lot.
But of course I don't know if the gluten is causing IR or reducing my capacity to produce insulin, or any one of 50 other things that affect the delicate hormonal balance => IR.
I don't inject insulin so I don't have a numerical way of measuring it, but I have a fairly good body-awareness for IR, and it has improved tremendously now I am Gluten Free, and worsens every time I eat gluten.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was it a competitive class? My swim fit session which I do twice a week, raise my sugar levels considerably due to adrenaline. I have to take extra insulin afterwards, not food, and up my levels of insulin with food during the day to counteract this.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
IR for me in exercise stresses my bgs. @Bon83
So adrenalin and stress causes high bgs for me. I can raise 3mmol/l and plus from even light swimming.
I have to do a liver block before getting ready for swim which covers my exercise, getting dried and any other hoo har with kids in tow. On r-ala supplement I could just use metformin with pork scratchings or similiar but now need insulin walking to the shop.
Overweight people I feel experience resistance training everyday of their lives when carrying excess weight. I have 8stones I could do without. Which I'm working on.
I think the nhs need to start helping people to understand IR awareness not type2 threats.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've experienced extreme insulin resistance as a result of resistance training when doing a particularly intense "As many reps as possible" session. It kicked in about 8 hours after and lasted until 36 hours after. During that period I needed between 2x and 3x as much insulin. Following that, my sensitivity recovered.

I regularly get DOMS, but normally don't see insulin sensitivity made worse as a result of it (and given the tools I have available, I am able to track insulin sensitivity data).

@Jaylee Personally I don't find that warming up/down makes any difference to DOMS - for me the best solution to reduce it is taking BCAAs before and after training.
This is interesting as I have had some light DOMS from running hills etc but this current issue was caused by a weights class with lots of reps? That might be the key issue - lots of reps. It has eased off a bit now. Today's issues was lots of STRESS at work bg through the roof very hard to bring down!!

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was it a competitive class? My swim fit session which I do twice a week, raise my sugar levels considerably due to adrenaline. I have to take extra insulin afterwards, not food, and up my levels of insulin with food during the day to counteract this.
This instance wasn't competitive but at an event I get this same problem definitely