Insulin Resistance

seth-2017

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I'm 13 and I was diagnosed at 11 and I was doing really well with my diabetes until this years Spring. I have got this thing called Insulin Resistance which I now have as I enter puberty. This means I need to inject extra and my numbers have been about 8-17 all summer so far. Anyone else got a similar issue?

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you talked to your doctor/diabetic nurse about this? they should be able to tell you to adjust your bolus settings or to increase your long-acting insulin to adapt to this change.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @seth-2017,
I was 13 when diagnosed. That was back when meters, pumps, disposable needle sand syringes did not exist.
Over the next 4 yearsor so I had what my doctor called "growth spurts".
My body (with no OK from me!) decided to start to grow. Up went all those hormones which do that and which cause my insulin to be less effective (= insulin resistance). If it had been a constant thing that would have been easier, but the BSLs would go up, I would increase my insulin doses over a week or so until they were about 2 to 3 x normal daily dose ! This was twice daily insulin. And up went my appetite and to cope with this I would regularly 'demolish' a block of cheese or three!!.
Then after say, 2 to 3 weeks the hypos would start and I would have to reduce the insulin dose back to 'normal' over 2 days or so. The growth spurt was over
Another month or three later, away we go again.
Now with glucose meters, basal/bolus regimes, pumps etc at least it should be easier to adjust but I hope the explanation is helpful to you, gives you confident that there is nothing unusual is happening ( but you need to check this out with your doctor/dsn to make sure ).
Happy growing (and eating) and may the force of insulin, meters, exercise, parents and health team be with you. !!

Khushi Nagpal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, it absolutely happens, when hormones come into play sugar levels go erratic.

I’m 14 years and have been diagnosed since the age of 5. I too go through periods of insulin resistance, in similar situations as you.

I guess in those times, I just control my diet and limit my carbohydrate intake more, as to not fuel any hyperglycemic incidences. I try to exercise more too, trying to control my blood sugar levels.

Taking medication and playing my part. Guess in situations like these, we just have to stay strong and keep going!!

Reactions: Guzzler