Insulin resistance

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
According to my endo and he has had a paper published on the effects of sitagliptin during an extended oral glucose tolerance test. That a hypo is to be below 3.5 mmols. And should be actioned upon. But not treated as a T1 of T2 should treat it as too much glucose derived from the action would produce a rebound effect of the same cause of hyper, overshoot, hypo.
My first eOGTT, was for up to four hours, but I ended up being released at 8pm, which was around eleven hours from drinking the 75g of glucose solution.
Thank you very much , Lamont !

Right. “Around 7 - 8 mmol create the trigger for the overshoot of insulin “ is interesting.

“If you stop the spike you stop the hypo” is absolutely true.

So better “under 7”.

When I looked at UK and US site regarding RH, their number for hypo is below 4mmol/L and 70mg/dL. Almost the same number.

When I had 4 hours glucose tolerance test , my number was 3.2mmol/L. But I was diagnosed from pathology, I do NOT have RH because it is not lower than 3mmo/L !

I don’t know why Australia’s number for hypo is under 3mmol/L…

I had a severe headache , sweating, body shaking and could not think about anything other than eating sugar to raise my blood sugar at that time.
I was so scared that I may be fainted…

I think UK and US are correct …
I have no idea myself, maybe it could be the severity of the overshoot to push the hypo further down.
I have myself been below 3mmols and seen many 'LO's on my glucometer.
You have to remember that the reaction to high glucose is natural, but the overshoot doesn't turn off, and the livers attempt to use glucogenisis to prevent the hypo is swamped by the overshoot 's excess insulin.

Could you ask how it showed in the pathology other than what I have described already?

I will add, that the symptoms list you have put is quite short. I'm certain there are others you don't associate.
Suddenly falling asleep when resting is one that I was told I did quite often before I had control, that I wasn't aware of. The full list plus others that are not listed are in the sticky at the top of the forum thread page.
Loss of memory, and others I have forgot.
The eye blurring and the headaches behind the eyes is my first idea that I'm not in control.

Keep asking.
Best wishes.

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak

Catkysydney

According to my endo and he has had a paper published on the effects of sitagliptin during an extended oral glucose tolerance test. That a hypo is to be below 3.5 mmols. And should be actioned upon. But not treated as a T1 of T2 should treat it as too much glucose derived from the action would produce a rebound effect of the same cause of hyper, overshoot, hypo.
My first eOGTT, was for up to four hours, but I ended up being released at 8pm, which was around eleven hours from drinking the 75g of glucose solution.

I have no idea myself, maybe it could be the severity of the overshoot to push the hypo further down.
I have myself been below 3mmols and seen many 'LO's on my glucometer.
You have to remember that the reaction to high glucose is natural, but the overshoot doesn't turn off, and the livers attempt to use glucogenisis to prevent the hypo is swamped by the overshoot 's excess insulin.

Could you ask how it showed in the pathology other than what I have described already?

I will add, that the symptoms list you have put is quite short. I'm certain there are others you don't associate.
Suddenly falling asleep when resting is one that I was told I did quite often before I had control, that I wasn't aware of. The full list plus others that are not listed are in the sticky at the top of the forum thread page.
Loss of memory, and others I have forgot.
The eye blurring and the headaches behind the eyes is my first idea that I'm not in control.

Keep asking.
Best wishes.

Thank you very much for your reply , Lamont !!

My 4 hours glucose tolerance test was :

Result. mmol/L(mg/dL)
Fasting. 5.1. ( 91.8 )
1hr. 14.1. ( 253.8 )
2hr. 13.1 ( 235.8 )
2.5hr. 10.2. ( 183.6 )
3hr. 5.3 ( 95.4 )
3.5hr. 3.6. ( 64.8 )
4hr. 3.2. ( 57.6 )

Pathology told me I do not have reactive hypoglycemia because it is not lower than 3.0..

They diagnosed me with diabetes mellitus. So I was prescribed Metformin, which made me extremely unwell.. I thought I was going to die.

Then my doctor prescribed Jardiance , which gave me severe cystitis.

Then Diamicron was prescribed, this medicine gave me absolutely severe dizziness, I could not walk.

Then finally Januvia ( Sitagliptin) , which does not give me side effects. So I was happy with it. Also I am very happy to know that you are taking it .

But as you mentioned before Sitagliptin is susceptible to carbs, I could not stop carbs craving, it became ineffective .

Now I have been on Ozempic and Sitagliptin.

You are again right ! When my blood sugar is higher than 7.0, my blood sugar started lower towards hypoglycemia. I found it out today ! ( I ate sushi ). You are absolutely right !

But my problem is my blood sugar is always around 7.0…. Even I did not take any carbs.. I am worried .

I should cut down carbs as much as possible. Your advice is more accurate and logical than my doctor . He is treating me as a diabetic, so he is happy with my HbA1c 5.5 .. but if I have hypothermia, HbA1c will be lower , right ?

When I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, my HbA1c was 5.9. This is not diabetes range…

Thank you very much, Lamont , for your knowledge and expertise….

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak and Lamont D

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a gentle reminder guys, unfortunately mods have had to moderate the thread because although the advice was very helpful on the whole, some of it crossed the line on a number of forum rules. Rules A7, A11, & C12. Particularly A11

11. Important: Members are generally not Health Care Professionals, and those who are participate on the Forum as Members, not Health Care Professionals. Members are unable to diagnose any condition, or instruct in the alteration of medication, irrespective of personal or professional standing or experience.

Please keep this in mind when posting, thank you :)

• Agree
Reactions: Pipp and Antje77