Insulin sensitivity decreasing?

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone experienced their insulin sensitivity getting worse with LCHF? I was already on a high ratio of 1 unit to bring my BG down 1 mmol/ml, and now I'm on 2:1 and it still isn't enough (I'm hesitant to increase it more until I see my DSN).

I did find some research that offered a potential explanation about ketones and fat storage, but I'm still surprised. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

D

Deleted Account

Are you eating more protein in meals with few carbs?
Many find they need to protein count when eating low carb.
There’s a scientific word for what happens but basically, without carbs, our body breaks down protein to glucose so we have to dose for the protein. Like carbs, the insulin to protein ratios vary person to person but I believe for most a good starting point is half as much insulin for protein as you would for carbs.

You may also want to look at doing a basal test to check your basal dose is correct if you are finding you need to correct more often.
It is not unheard of for our basal needs to change over time.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was already on a high ratio of 1 unit to bring my BG down 1 mmol/ml, and now I'm on 2:1 and it still isn't enough (I'm hesitant to increase it more until I see my DSN).
Are you carb counting and injecting before eating or do you wait for your bg to go up and then try to correct?