Insulin sensitivity

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone does anyone else find when weather change like gets warmer. Do you find that you become more insulin sensitivity needing less insulin with meals. Recently suddenly iv become insulin sensitive. Just woundering does anyone else experience this.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @static192, it's not something that I experience but I know others do. Personally the weather doesn't seem to have any impact on my sensitivity.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I definitely find that as well. It can work the other way for some people, in that they need more insulin when it's warm. Another example of how diabetes doesn't affect us all the same way.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes in the summer time or when I go abroad I have to take less insulin and still experience more hypos. I have always been very sensitive to insulin anyway

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I definitely find that as well. It can work the other way for some people, in that they need more insulin when it's warm. Another example of how diabetes doesn't affect us all the same way.

Yes that’s me unfortunately. Was flummoxed by my rise to 14 yesterday after a prolonged period of 85% in range. Then remembered I’d been sat in the sun all day. Duh!!

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weird I’ve also been more insulin resistant the past couple of days & couldn’t figure out why.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe the reason some of us react differently to the heat is likely to to be related to how we cope with heat.
Some people feel more comfortable in the cold and some more comfortable in the warmth.
As we know stress and discomfort can raise our blood sugars. So, if you don't like the heat, I would expect insulin resistance to rise.

For me there is also a relationship between weather and how much I move. In the summer, I spend more time outside walking, running, cycling, gardening, walking to the shops, to the pub, etc Whereas, in the winter, I wrap up indoors away from the cold and wind and rain. I may be more tempted to drive to the shops to avoid getting cold(er), wet or blown away. And the exercise will make me more insulin sensitive.

So, I feel the way our insulin sensitivity reacts to change in weather is at least partially related to the way we react to the change in weather.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yep. i tend to need a little less basal & become more sensitive with heat.

Year round, i keep going doing the same sort of stuff just in the hotter weather less layers.
Oddly, doing the live music (when it was happening.) it could get quite hot whatever it was outside.
I found the time type of the "activity" as the basal should have been tailing off (& ready for the next shot.)
kept me in a steady 4.6 to 5.2 range.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Odd you say this.. just last week with a slight temperature rise I found myself going constantly low.. only really notice it now as have pump and Dexcom

Nothing really changed except weather.. so have reduced basal slightly

But there could be other reasons.. ‘full moon’ - day of the week had an ‘a’ in it
My mood.. the trouble with diabetes is it’s always changing and just when you think you have it all figured… it like to show you that you don’t!