Insulin squirting from pen

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im relatively new to insulin (on second or third pen). The last 2 pens start squirting insulin when I get down to the last 3rd of the insulin.

When I do the test with 2 units it *squirt*s out rather than the normal drip (no matter how slow I press). And if I test it with my dose it also squirts alot. And now when I inject I get a alittle stinging - which I think is extra insulin pooling under the skin before it gets absorbed.

I threw the last pen away thinking its maybe a one off faulty pen or id made a mistake when adding the needle somehow.

Now its happened on this insulin pen as well. Im going to open a new one tomorrow but it seems a waste if im throwing out 1/3 to 1/4 of every pen.

Im thinking the rubber seal that gets pierced each time you attach a needle has 'thinned'. Ive looked at the rubber seal and I didnt see any clear hole so im assuming its been perforated to many times and thin holes remain allowing extra to come out?

Does anyone have any experience of this? Am I doing something wrong?

Im currently dosing 4 units pd so maybe that means im using the pen for longer than its designed? Someone dosing 10 units a day (2 units pd testing + 10 units pd dose = 12) would use up the pen in 8 needles, whereas im using it for 16 days / needles (4 dose + 2 testing = 6) ?
hi the first two units should squirt to release air and then redial for the amount required and use, it stings on and off for the first few months but eventually your body gets used to you doing it and you no longer feel the sting